RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fuzzy images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fuzzy images mallory 04 Sep 00:58
  Fuzzy images Ofnuts 07 Sep 21:52
  Fuzzy images Greg Chapman 07 Sep 22:15
  Fuzzy images Rick Strong 08 Sep 03:55
2016-09-04 00:58:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Fuzzy images

I want to make a 8.5''x11'' flyer with images i am opeing as layers. I scaled all of my images (with scale tool) and when i printed the finished flyer everything looked fuzzy. The wierd thing, is that even the text is fuzzy and i added it with the text tool.

Ofnuts
2016-09-07 21:52:26 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Fuzzy images

On 04/09/16 02:58, mallory wrote:

I want to make a 8.5''x11'' flyer with images i am opeing as layers. I scaled all of my images (with scale tool) and when i printed the finished flyer everything looked fuzzy. The wierd thing, is that even the text is fuzzy and i added it with the text tool.

If your image resolution is too small, the print driver will scale it up and it will look blurry.

To be reasonably sharp and image should be at least 150 pixels/inch (photography) or 300 PPI (text/logo/CGI). For 8.5"x11", this is 1275x1650 pixels @150PPI or 2550x3300 pixels @300PPI.

If you are using a regular display, its resolution is around 100PPI, so the images on it are 1.5x-3.0x bigger than in print when Gimp displays the image "dot for dot" (which is the defaut).

Greg Chapman
2016-09-07 22:15:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Fuzzy images

Hi Mallory,

On 04/09/16 01:58, mallory wrote:

What print resolution you have set?

The default is, I believe, around 72 pixels/inch, which makes for pretty fuzzy printing. 300 might be more appropriate for a reasonably sharp image. The dialogue will tell you what size your image will print at.

What have you then scaled to, to achieve an appropriate size for printing at the size you want?

How did you go about printing? If you did something like export the resulting image to a JPG file and print that, any text will have become as fuzzy as the rest of image if it had inadequate resolution.

Greg

Rick Strong
2016-09-08 03:55:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Fuzzy images

Photos should be around 300 dpi. Text or graphics around 600 dpi. Small logos are better at 1200 dpi.

Output to PDF or EPS. Whatever works with however you are printing your flyers. You might want to investigate Scribus, another free software for layout.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: mallory
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2016 8:58 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Fuzzy images

I want to make a 8.5''x11'' flyer with images i am opeing as layers. I scaled
all of my images (with scale tool) and when i printed the finished flyer everything looked fuzzy. The wierd thing, is that even the text is fuzzy and i
added it with the text tool.

mallory (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)