RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Set Render->Grid to mm

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Set Render->Grid to mm Krippers 31 Dec 14:12
  Set Render->Grid to mm rich404 02 Jan 13:52
   Set Render->Grid to mm Krippers 03 Jan 18:32
2021-12-31 14:12:50 UTC (6 months ago)
postings
contact

Set Render->Grid to mm

Hi I have 2.10 and I'm having difficulty specifying mm in the Filters>Render>Grid tool I can only use pixels which is slightly out for what I need. I cant see a way of changing it, am I missing something really obvious ?

2022-01-02 13:52:37 UTC (6 months ago)
postings

Set Render->Grid to mm

Hi I have 2.10 and I'm having difficulty specifying mm in the Filters>Render>Grid tool I can only use pixels which is slightly out for what I need. I cant see a way of changing it, am I missing something really obvious ?

What you are missing is that Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor and works in pixels. Just because in some circumstances the size / rulers display real world units, say for print size, does not make Gimp work that way.

There are workarounds for that Render Grid tool although you will still use pixel values and you can get progressive errors as you found.

Image -> Print Size and set the resolution to a suitable pix / mm value for your use. (I used 30) Render the grid, use a value of 30 (= 1 mm ) or multiples of 30 Change the units to mm (if required ) for the rulers to use mm

This quick animation example: https://i.imgur.com/JOtwCdu.mp4

2022-01-03 18:32:28 UTC (6 months ago)
postings
contact

Set Render->Grid to mm

Thank you that's very helpful indeed

What you are missing is that Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor and works in pixels. Just because in some circumstances the size / rulers display real world units, say for print size, does not make Gimp work that way.

There are workarounds for that Render Grid tool although you will still use pixel values and you can get progressive errors as you found.

Image -> Print Size and set the resolution to a suitable pix / mm value for your use. (I used 30)
Render the grid, use a value of 30 (= 1 mm ) or multiples of 30 Change the units to mm (if required ) for the rulers to use mm

This quick animation example: https://i.imgur.com/JOtwCdu.mp4