RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Almost no tools working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Almost no tools working dancemachinetrait 22 Dec 19:13
  Almost no tools working Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list 23 Dec 12:45
   Almost no tools working dancemachinetrait 24 Dec 17:15
    Almost no tools working dancemachinetrait 24 Dec 17:36
     Almost no tools working dancemachinetrait 24 Dec 17:40
2019-12-22 19:13:52 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Almost no tools working

I use GIMP 2.10.14. I recently switched from an old Macbook to a PC (HP Pavilion) and am having some difficulty in using GIMP.

For health reasons, I use a wireless keyboard rather than the keyboard that came with my PC. (I need to have the PC raised.) I also use a tablet with a stylus. The keyboard is a Rii Model RT518. The tablet is a Huion Model H420. Both of these worked fine with GIMP on my old Macbook, and are working perfectly outside of GIMP.

I'm not exactly sure how to summarise the issue I'm having, as it seems to be an issue with more or less every tool I try to use. It seems to be particularly a problem with any tool you have to hold and drag- like Rectangle select, Free select, or the Pencil tool. I've tried every tool I frequently use on the PC keyboard, wireless keyboard and tablet. I'm not going to list every single one of them here, but here are a few examples.

Rectangle select: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: The box that should make the corner of the selection appears, but doesn't expand when I try to drag it.

Free select: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: Same issue. I can create points by tapping, but not create a continuous line by dragging.

Crop: PC doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click and drag. Keyboard: Same as PC. Tablet: Same issue as Rectangle select: Tablet.

Rotate: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: When I hold down the cursor, it changes to the icon for the Crop tool.

Text: PC works. Keyboard: Nothing happens when I click and drag. Tablet: Same issue as Rotate: Rectangle select.

Scale: Works on all three.

Some of these keep changing; some have started working on a device that previously they weren't working on (e.g. the Scale tool). There seems to be a recurring issue with the stylus where when I press down, the cursor icon changes to whatever tool I used before the one I'm trying to use.

I would really appreciate any help you can give. I'm happy to give more information if necessary.

dancemachinetrait (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list
2019-12-23 12:45:40 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Almost no tools working

i was looking at the keyboard, thats awfully small, im just saying it may not have all the same functions on every computer, but i saw this video, that the keyboard itself may have lost some of the functions
in transferring from mac to pc, and needs rebooted? thats a lot of factors. i dont suppose youve tried it with a mouse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDmtM_4uUY dan

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 6:30 AM dancemachinetrait wrote:

I use GIMP 2.10.14. I recently switched from an old Macbook to a PC (HP Pavilion) and am having some difficulty in using GIMP.

For health reasons, I use a wireless keyboard rather than the keyboard that came
with my PC. (I need to have the PC raised.) I also use a tablet with a stylus.
The keyboard is a Rii Model RT518. The tablet is a Huion Model H420. Both of
these worked fine with GIMP on my old Macbook, and are working perfectly outside
of GIMP.

I'm not exactly sure how to summarise the issue I'm having, as it seems to be an
issue with more or less every tool I try to use. It seems to be particularly a
problem with any tool you have to hold and drag- like Rectangle select, Free
select, or the Pencil tool. I've tried every tool I frequently use on the PC
keyboard, wireless keyboard and tablet. I'm not going to list every single one
of them here, but here are a few examples.

Rectangle select: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: The box that should make the
corner of the selection appears, but doesn't expand when I try to drag it.

Free select: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: Same issue. I can create points
by tapping, but not create a continuous line by dragging.

Crop: PC doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click and drag. Keyboard: Same as
PC. Tablet: Same issue as Rectangle select: Tablet.

Rotate: PC works. Keyboard works. Tablet: When I hold down the cursor, it changes to the icon for the Crop tool.

Text: PC works. Keyboard: Nothing happens when I click and drag. Tablet: Same
issue as Rotate: Rectangle select.

Scale: Works on all three.

Some of these keep changing; some have started working on a device that previously they weren't working on (e.g. the Scale tool). There seems to be a
recurring issue with the stylus where when I press down, the cursor icon changes
to whatever tool I used before the one I'm trying to use.

I would really appreciate any help you can give. I'm happy to give more information if necessary.

--
dancemachinetrait (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2019-12-24 17:15:49 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Almost no tools working

i was looking at the keyboard, thats awfully small, im just saying it may not have all the same functions on every computer,
but i saw this video, that the keyboard itself may have lost some of the
functions
in transferring from mac to pc, and needs rebooted? thats a lot of factors. i dont suppose youve tried it with a mouse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDmtM_4uUY dan

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 6:30 AM dancemachinetrait

wrote:

My keyboard definitely isn't as small as the one in that video. I'm attaching a picture of mine. I tried turning the keyboard off and on again like in the video and it seems to be working. The tablet still isn't working though.

I haven't tried using a mouse- I have a chronic pain condition and really need to be able to use the tablet as it's much easier on my hand.

Attachments: * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1323/original/80202191_774043293078793_5938693439578177536_n.jpg

2019-12-24 17:36:03 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Almost no tools working

My keyboard definitely isn't as small as the one in that video. I'm attaching a
picture of mine. I tried turning the keyboard off and on again like in the video
and it seems to be working. The tablet still isn't working though.

I haven't tried using a mouse- I have a chronic pain condition and really need
to be able to use the tablet as it's much easier on my hand.

Attachments: *
https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1323/original/80202191_774043293078793_5938693439578177536_n.jpg

Never mind, keyboard not working again >.<

2019-12-24 17:40:55 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Almost no tools working

I'm now getting the following error message whenever I try to export anything:

'GIMP Message

Plug-in crashed: "file-png.exe" (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\file-png\file-png.exe)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

GIMP Message

Saving 'C:\Users\felix\Desktop\gimp error message.png' failed:

Procedure 'file-png-save-defaults' returned no return values'