RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Customized smudge tool : Smudge with painting

2017-04-10 18:31:44 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Hi everyone, I made an experimental tool : A customized smudge tool, which can not only smudge the color on the canvas, but also blend brush color on it. Because I thought this can make a different taste from "Watercolor" type smudge when drawing images. (I mainly use GIMP for digital painting, so the power of a brush engine is important to me.) I did this by modifying the code and building by myself.

(See the "Parameters" image)

I added two parameters. One is "Flow", which controls the amount of brush color. The more it is, more foreground color will be blended. Of cource it can be controlled by brush dynamics. (To simplify the work I picked a currently-unused parameter and didn't make a new one.)

The other is "No erasing effect". If enabled, if smudging will decrease alpha of some pixels, don't decrease them, thus doesn't erase existing pixels. This is useful to fill the gap between two color areas.

Currently I made this just for experiment and it's not very robust. If someone wants to make this as an official feature, I am glad to help. (Not sure whether I should post to gimp-developer mailing list or not...)

--------

The attachments are some tests

"Simple tests" Also compare this smudge tool and MyPaint brush(which is watercolor type smudge). It's better to keep Flow under 30, or control it by dynamics. Otherwise it will be nearly the same as normal brushes.

"By customized smudge tool" and "By MyPaint brush" are two artworks with similar painting method, only different tools. (Tip: smudge tool is very useful to draw hair and flame)

And "No erasing effect" shows why this parameter matters. In the left image, there are transparent gaps between dark gray and red areas. Without "No erasing effect", smudging on the gap will diffuse its transparency to nearby pixels and it's difficult to remove the gap. "No erasing effect" may also be useful in watercolor type smudge. Havn't tried yet.

2017-04-10 18:37:28 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Here is my inspiration:

Commonly there are 2 types of smudge tools in paint softwares. (See images)

"A. Type 1" Copy an area, and paste to the next dab. Examples: GIMP's smudge tool, "Finger" tool in many softwares.

"B. Type 2" Calculate the average color in an area, and fill the next dab.

--------

And if we add coloring ability to Type 2, this forms "Watercolor" tool in many softwares. For example, this is the algorithm of MyPaint's smudge. "C. Type 2 with painting"
Similar examples: Watercolor in Paint Tool SAI and many Japanese softwares, Krita's color smudge brush with dull mode.

For a long time GIMP had no such tool, but newly added MyPaint brush in 2.9.4 filled this gap.

--------

But how about Type 1 with coloring ability? Few softwares have it. The only software with this tool I had ever seen is Krita (color smudge brush with smear mode).

So I modified GIMP's smudge tool, followed MyPaint's algorithm. "D. Type 1 with painting"

And as I drew above artwork, I found that "No erasing effect" parameter is necessary so I added it.

2017-04-10 18:42:58 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Sorry for misplacing the images.
The B. and D. are exchanged.

2017-06-12 17:57:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Currently I made this just for experiment and it's not very robust. If someone wants to make this as an official feature, I am glad to help.

Is this now alive and available for download? It would be very useful
I'm clueless about coding so I would be of no help in the development best regards...

2017-06-13 10:10:05 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Currently this is only available on git and patch files. You must download the codes and build by yourself. https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/?h=wip/pippin

I have talked to the developers. They have interests to include this in ver 2.10, but I am not sure when 2.10 or development snapshot will release. Here is the discussion. Patches can be found here. http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-developer/19717-enhanced-smudge-tool-smudge-with-painting

If someone wants to try this, I can try to make a binary, but may or may not do well.

2017-06-13 10:27:25 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Thanks... looking forward to its implementation, whenever

Currently this is only available on git and patch files. You must download the codes and build by yourself. https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/?h=wip/pippin

I have talked to the developers. They have interests to include this in ver 2.10, but I am not sure when 2.10 or development snapshot will release.
Here is the discussion. Patches can be found here. http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-developer/19717-enhanced-smudge-tool-smudge-with-painting

If someone wants to try this, I can try to make a binary, but may or may not do well.

2017-06-13 22:03:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I saw some discussion regarding a possible name for this tool. "smudge" sounds fine, but since years ago I came from a traditional painting (ie: oils, watercolor) another option could be "blender" - there are blender brushes in traditional oil painting - being able to control the opacity and edge softness as well as offering just blend or blend while adding a choice of color - my input....

I have talked to the developers. They have interests to include this in ver 2.10, but I am not sure when 2.10 or development snapshot will release.
Here is the discussion. Patches can be found here. http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-developer/19717-enhanced-smudge-tool-smudge-with-painting

2017-12-03 07:31:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

wow..if this feature add on the next patch , it will be great for me too. cant wait for the next patch.

2017-12-04 18:57:18 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

wow..if this feature add on the next patch , it will be great for me too. cant wait for the next patch.

It is included in 2.9.6 now.

There are Windows and Mac builds here. You can try it. https://www.partha.com/

2017-12-08 16:05:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

It is included in 2.9.6 now.

There are Windows and Mac builds here. You can try it.

Wow! thats a great news for me ..thanks for the link :D

BTW did you use this tool ?

2017-12-08 20:35:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Wow! thats a great news for me ..thanks for the link :D

BTW did you use this tool ?

I drew above example images by myself, and sometimes used this tool in other images too.

By the way, my works was posted here. I posted there because that forum seems more active.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-shark0r-s-digital-painting-works

2018-09-26 22:14:43 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Hi everyone, I made an experimental tool : A customized smudge tool, which can not only smudge the color on the canvas, but also blend brush color on it. Because I thought this can make a different taste from "Watercolor" type smudge when drawing images. (I mainly use GIMP for digital painting, so the power of a brush engine is important to me.)
I did this by modifying the code and building by myself.

(See the "Parameters" image)

I added two parameters. One is "Flow", which controls the amount of brush color. The more it is, more foreground color will be blended. Of cource it can be controlled by brush dynamics. (To simplify the work I picked a currently-unused parameter and didn't make a new one.)

The other is "No erasing effect". If enabled, if smudging will decrease alpha of some pixels, don't decrease them, thus doesn't erase existing pixels. This is useful to fill the gap between two color areas.

Currently I made this just for experiment and it's not very robust. If someone wants to make this as an official feature, I am glad to help. (Not sure whether I should post to gimp-developer mailing list or not...)

--------

The attachments are some tests

"Simple tests" Also compare this smudge tool and MyPaint brush(which is watercolor type smudge).
It's better to keep Flow under 30, or control it by dynamics. Otherwise it will be nearly the same as normal brushes.

"By customized smudge tool" and "By MyPaint brush" are two artworks with similar painting method, only different tools. (Tip: smudge tool is very useful to draw hair and flame)

And "No erasing effect" shows why this parameter matters. In the left image, there are transparent gaps between dark gray and red areas. Without "No erasing effect", smudging on the gap will diffuse its transparency to nearby pixels and it's difficult to remove the gap.
"No erasing effect" may also be useful in watercolor type smudge. Havn't tried yet.

I checked to see if there were new options or just options I've not seen yet for the smudge tool but it's the same. I also played around alot using the Brush Settings for the smudge tool and there's nothing that affects the drag or smudgeness of the tool. Even without any brush settings, or any other settings (for example, Mode, Sample All Layers, Finger Painting, and the Size Pressure button) the smudge tool will drag alot more with 99% than 100%.

2018-09-27 04:50:46 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

I checked to see if there were new options or just options I've not seen yet for the smudge tool but it's the same. I also played around alot using the Brush Settings for the smudge tool and there's nothing that affects the drag or smudgeness of the tool. Even without any brush settings, or any other settings (for example, Mode, Sample All Layers, Finger Painting, and the Size Pressure button) the smudge tool will drag alot more with 99% than 100%.

Do you see "Flow" and "No erasing effect" in smudge tool's tool options?

Also this is a new feature in 2.9.6 and 2.10. If your GIMP version is prior to them, these parameters don't exist of course.