RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need High Def Text

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need High Def Text SportStar 07 Dec 12:29
  Need High Def Text rich2005 08 Dec 11:28
   Need High Def Text SportStar 12 Dec 10:14
  Need High Def Text Alexandre Prokoudine 08 Dec 20:42
   Need High Def Text Steve Kinney 08 Dec 21:09
2016-12-07 12:29:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Need High Def Text

Hi, I am using Gimp 2.8 to design an A1 poster. The poster contains text and while it looks OK in 100% or 200%, the moment I go to 400% it all gets pixelated. I have read some info and checked that the text tool is set to Hinting - Full and Antialiasing is ticked.

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks

rich2005
2016-12-08 11:28:19 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Need High Def Text

Hi, I am using Gimp 2.8 to design an A1 poster. The poster contains text and while it looks OK in 100% or 200%, the moment I go to 400% it all gets pixelated. I have read some info and checked that the text tool is set to Hinting - Full and Antialiasing is ticked.

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks

Your "A1" poster is tiny. A1 size is 594 mm x 841 mm and your image size in pixels is 592 x 561 pix so I conclude that, apart from the aspect ratio, you have pixels and mm mixed up. Printing that on A1 papergives a resolution of pixels per inch (ppi)

For a poster that will be viewed at a distance you do not need phot-grapic quality 300 ppi but you do need better than 25 ppi, say 150 ppi.

Make a new canvas, Image -> New, in the advanced section set the horizontal/vertical resolution, set the size in mm. After that work in pixels, Gimp is a raster editor, works with pixels.

Then there is the outlining: guessing you did some sort of selection and used that, leaving semi-transparent pixels between the white text and the magenta outline.

A better way once you have a text layer is Text to path -> Stroke the path. Apply that to a layer under the text for best results.

example attached.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-12-08 20:42:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Need High Def Text

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:29 PM, SportStar wrote:

Hi, I am using Gimp 2.8 to design an A1 poster. The poster contains text and while it looks OK in 100% or 200%, the moment I go to 400% it all gets pixelated.

The point of bitmap graphics is that it's all pixels, not vectors.

Alex

Steve Kinney
2016-12-08 21:09:11 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Need High Def Text

On 12/08/2016 03:42 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:29 PM, SportStar wrote:

Hi, I am using Gimp 2.8 to design an A1 poster. The poster contains text and while it looks OK in 100% or 200%, the moment I go to 400% it all gets pixelated.

The point of bitmap graphics is that it's all pixels, not vectors.

When I make "posters" that will contain both image and text content, I usually do the bitmap content in the GIMP, export the result as PNG, and import it into an new Inkscape file. I do the text and any "line art" as required in Inkscape. The result is a hybrid bitmap/vector image that scales up very well; there will be some loss of resolution in the bitmap content, but text and other vector content will render "perfectly" at any scale when exported as a bitmap file (png or etc.).

Export the Inkscape .svg to PDF with text converted to vectors for reliable printing.

"Just use Inkscape for the text" is not a great answer, since it does involve getting and learning how to use a whole 'nother program if you have not already done so. But if you will be doing similar work in the future, it's well worth the trouble.

:o)

2016-12-12 10:14:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Need High Def Text

Your "A1" poster is tiny. A1 size is 594 mm x 841 mm and your image size in pixels is 592 x 561 pix so I conclude that, apart from the aspect ratio, you have pixels and mm mixed up. Printing that on A1 papergives a resolution of pixels per inch (ppi)

For a poster that will be viewed at a distance you do not need phot-grapic quality 300 ppi but you do need better than 25 ppi, say 150 ppi.

Make a new canvas, Image -> New, in the advanced section set the horizontal/vertical resolution, set the size in mm. After that work in pixels, Gimp is a raster editor, works with pixels.

Then there is the outlining: guessing you did some sort of selection and used that, leaving semi-transparent pixels between the white text and the magenta outline.

A better way once you have a text layer is Text to path -> Stroke the path. Apply that to a layer under the text for best results.

example attached.

MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE