RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with paintbrush and convolver

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with paintbrush and convolver Fabio S. 03 Jul 11:02
  Problem with paintbrush and convolver Sven Neumann 03 Jul 13:25
   Problem with paintbrush and convolver Fabio S. 03 Jul 17:54
    Problem with paintbrush and convolver Sven Neumann 03 Jul 19:58
Fabio S.
2003-07-03 11:02:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem when I use one of these tools, but it is a strange problem and I find some difficulties in explaining it. Nevertheless, let me try....

If I select the paintbrush and I draw a random curve on my picture, every now and then some of the pixels of the curve are "displaced" either horizontally or vertically. The effect is more visible with a not so small brush (either soft or hard) and when the image is zoomed at least at 1:1

By itself this is quite annoying but it is not all: the effect is, in fact, an illusion. The line, in reality, is well drawn and I can realize this by the fact that if I zoom in and then out the effect disappears!!!

Did anybody experienced the same thing? What is the cause? How can I correct this?

Thank you for your help

Fabio

PS: I also have a problem in compiling gimp 1.2.5 under mandrake 9.0: all needed devels packages are installed, ./configure says everything is ok and compilations starts ok and goes on for 10-15 minutes, then I get an error.
But, for this, maybe it is better if I include in another post the last few lines of compilation output...

Sven Neumann
2003-07-03 13:25:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Fabio S." writes:

I am experiencing a problem when I use one of these tools, but it is a strange problem and I find some difficulties in explaining it. Nevertheless, let me try....

If I select the paintbrush and I draw a random curve on my picture, every now and then some of the pixels of the curve are "displaced" either horizontally or vertically. The effect is more visible with a not so small brush (either soft or hard) and when the image is zoomed at least at 1:1

By itself this is quite annoying but it is not all: the effect is, in fact, an illusion. The line, in reality, is well drawn and I can realize this by the fact that if I zoom in and then out the effect disappears!!!

Did anybody experienced the same thing? What is the cause? How can I correct this?

This is a known bug which is fixed in later 1.3 releases and if I remember correctly the fix has been backmerged to version 1.2.5 as well.

Sven

Fabio S.
2003-07-03 17:54:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

This is a known bug which is fixed in later 1.3 releases and if I remember correctly the fix has been backmerged to version 1.2.5 as well.

You remember well: in 1.2.5 it is fixed. So, now then I come to the other problem: compilation of 1.2.5... What follows at the end of the message is the error I get when compiling: does it give anyone a clue on what is wrong? I want to stress that ./configure gives no errors and, moreover, compilation was fine on another desktop on which I have the same distribution (mdk 9.0) with _exactly_ the same *devel*.rpm packages.

If I will succeed in compiling, then the only wish about paintbrush would be to see its size, but I know I am not the only one wishing this and we have still to wait a little... :-(

Since I am talking about paintbrush, I have another question: in its "Tool options" box, there is a voice: Pressure Sensitivity
with four choices:
Opacity Hardness Size Color
Well, I must admit that I can't see any difference in the behavior of the paintbrush whichever mode I choose.
I also looked on the gimp manual and on "grokking the gimp", but I couldn't find any explanation about this.

Thank you very much

Fabio

--------------------------

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../intl -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include -DLOCALEDIR=\""/usr/local/share/locale"\" -DGTK_DISABLE_COMPAT_H -g -O2 -Wall -c aa.c
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory aa.c: In function `get_type_from_string': aa.c:110: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type aa.c: In function `type_dialog':
aa.c:367: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type aa.c:377: warning: passing arg 4 of `gtk_signal_connect' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o aa aa.o ../../libgimp/libgimpui.la ../../libgimp/libgimp.la -laa -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/aa aa.o -rdynamic ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimpui.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimp.so /usr/lib/libaa.so -lslang -lgpm /usr/lib/libgtk.so /usr/lib/libgdk.so /usr/lib/libgmodule.so /usr/lib/libglib.so -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
/usr//bin/ld: cannot find -lgpm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [aa] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/stumbo/download/gimp-1.2.5/plug-ins/common' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stumbo/download/gimp-1.2.5/plug-ins' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stumbo/download/gimp-1.2.5' make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Sven Neumann
2003-07-03 19:58:08 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Fabio S." writes:

Since I am talking about paintbrush, I have another question: in its "Tool options" box, there is a voice: Pressure Sensitivity
with four choices:
Opacity Hardness Size Color
Well, I must admit that I can't see any difference in the behavior of the paintbrush whichever mode I choose.

These options only affect the way the brush reacts when used with a pressure sensitive device (tablet).

-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include -DLOCALEDIR=\""/usr/local/share/locale"\" -DGTK_DISABLE_COMPAT_H -g -O2 -Wall -c aa.c
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory aa.c: In function `get_type_from_string': aa.c:110: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type aa.c: In function `type_dialog':
aa.c:367: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type aa.c:377: warning: passing arg 4 of `gtk_signal_connect' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o aa aa.o ../../libgimp/libgimpui.la ../../libgimp/libgimp.la -laa -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/aa aa.o -rdynamic ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimpui.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimp.so /usr/lib/libaa.so -lslang -lgpm /usr/lib/libgtk.so /usr/lib/libgdk.so /usr/lib/libgmodule.so /usr/lib/libglib.so -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
/usr//bin/ld: cannot find -lgpm

Your aalib installtion is broken. You should either deinstall aalib or install the gpm library which is obviously required by aalib but not available (due a broken package dependency). If you deinstall aalib, you will not have the aa plug-in available in GIMP.

Sven