RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Brian White 02 Jul 03:52
  Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Carol Spears 02 Jul 04:41
  Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Bruno Postle 02 Jul 10:29
Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Brian White 02 Jul 04:48
Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Brian White 02 Jul 13:19
Fixing Hot/Stuck/Dead Pixels? Carol Spears 02 Jul 14:09
Brian White
2003-07-02 03:52:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I have a digital camera which has developed a few stuck pixels and I'd like to automate the process of fixing them.

I figure I can create either a bitmap with said pixels set or a text list of pixel coordinates, but how can I get Gimp to do an interpolation of the surrounding pixels at each of those points?

Thanks!

Brian ( bcwhite@pobox.com )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Until we are first independent, we cannot be interdependent.

Carol Spears
2003-07-02 04:41:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

let me suggest thinline.c available at the registry.

carol

Brian White wrote:

I have a digital camera which has developed a few stuck pixels and I'd like to automate the process of fixing them.

I figure I can create either a bitmap with said pixels set or a text list of pixel coordinates, but how can I get Gimp to do an interpolation of the surrounding pixels at each of those points?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Until we are first independent, we cannot be interdependent.

Brian White
2003-07-02 04:48:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

If you have your bitmap with the dead pixels ready: - add it as a layer to your photo.
- select by color, pick the color of the good pixels - invert selection
- move to photo layer
- expand selection by 1 pisel (selection->expand) - Gassusian blur (filter->bluer->gaussian blur)

The blur, however, will still take in to account the value of the bad pixel, right? Is there any way to avoid that?

And..on gimp-devel, people are talking of a soon-to-be-reality macro recorder that will let you automate this without typing a single line of code.

I was thinking of writing a plug-in and making use of some of the advanced interpolation algorithms present in the "panorama tools" suite, but that's a fair amount of work and a bit more than I'd like to bite of as a first attempt at such things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- He who has infinite patience sees instant results.

Bruno Postle
2003-07-02 10:29:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue 01-Jul-2003 at 09:52:03PM -0400, Brian White wrote:

Try Jpegpixi:

http://jpegpixi.sourceforge.net/

"Jpegpixi" is short for "JPEG pixel interpolator". The intent of the program is to interpolate pixels in JFIF images (commonly referred to as "JPEG images"). This is useful to correct images from a digital camera with CCD defects. For example, if one pixel is always bright green, this pixel can be interpolated away with jpegpixi.

Jpegpixi is unique in that it tries to preserve the quality of the JFIF image as much as possible.

Brian White
2003-07-02 13:19:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Okay. I found it, but I the English documentation page seems to be gone. What does it do and how do I use it?

I was thinking some more and figure I might be able to do it as script-fu (I've always wanted to learn scheme). It wouldn't be fast, but there are only a few pixels to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Generated by Signify v1.10. For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/

Carol Spears
2003-07-02 14:09:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Brian White wrote:

Okay. I found it, but I the English documentation page seems to be gone. What does it do and how do I use it?

I was thinking some more and figure I might be able to do it as script-fu (I've always wanted to learn scheme). It wouldn't be fast, but there are only a few pixels to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Generated by Signify v1.10. For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/

I guess I would use the gimptool to install this filter. just typing "gimptool" in the command line will show the very helpful help menu.

carol