RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hex Drawing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hex Drawing João Paulo Vasconcellos 01 Jul 20:46
  Hex Drawing Joao S. O. Bueno 01 Jul 22:07
3F01EB1D.5060501@neo.rr.com 07 Oct 20:15
  Hex Drawing Joao S. O. Bueno 01 Jul 22:29
3F01F63C.9040403@neo.rr.com 07 Oct 20:15
  Hex Drawing Joao S. O. Bueno 02 Jul 00:53
   Hex Drawing Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 02 Jul 19:56
200307011738.24376.gwidion@... 07 Oct 20:15
João Paulo Vasconcellos
2003-07-01 20:46:45 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hex Drawing

Hello everybody,

does anyone knows if there is some kind of script that draws hex grids ?

I took a look at the registry, but found no one.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-07-01 22:07:15 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hex Drawing

Hmm.

Have not a gimp plugin, but I have wriiten some postscript for it a while ago.
All one have to do is open it in The GIMP.

I e-mailed Joao Paulo the Postscript file. If anyone else is interested, just write in.

Regards,

JS ->

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 15:46, João Paulo Vasconcellos wrote:

Hello everybody,

does anyone knows if there is some kind of script that draws hex grids ?

I took a look at the registry, but found no one.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-07-01 22:29:48 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hex Drawing

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 17:12,Mike Thorn wrote:

I'm a little unfamiliar with PostScript, being new to Linux and all. Can you tell me what that is and how your postscript file interacts with GIMP?

For a short answer:
a Postscript file is a file in the Programing language called postscript, that is human readable if open in a text editor, and which is executed and generates a drwaing, when open in an apropriate appllication. The GIMP can open Postscript files as drawings.

This script I made is one that renders an hexagon grid.

I also have a GIMP plugin taht can save gimp Paths in postscript files that can be open in other such applications.

"In long:"

Postscript is a page description language, first devised, almost 30 yeras ago, to be used to print pages.

The idea is that the printers themselves should have a way to interpret a postscript program, and the program do generate one or more pages taht are to be viewed.

Well, what happens is that a pritner able to proccess a postscript file does have to have not only a computer, but a lot of memory built-in. So, in most Unixes, there is a postscript interpreter taht functions as a printer driver, among other things.

All your GUI programs generate postscript files when they are printing. These files are run automatically through the postscript interpreter (unless you do have a postscript enabled printer), which them sends printer data to the printer.

This postscript interprter built in Unix and Linux in particular is the Ghostscript program. It's far more versatile than just a printer driver. With a couple of simple commands in postscript one can make beautiful vector drawings - and ghostscript allows saving them to a lot of other picture formats.

The GIMP uses the Ghostscript program as a utility to open postscript files as drawings transparently. So, a little program made in postscript to generate a drawing, like an Hex Grid, can be open as if it were a picture.

One of the advantages of it over a simple GIF or PNG with an hex grid, is taht a postscript file is human readable (unless generated by a program which deliberately obsfuscates it, like the Windows(tm) postscript drivers or CorelDraw).

In particular, in this hex grid script I made, one can change the number of hexes and their size, just by modifing three decimal numbers on the last line of the file, with any text editor.

Regards,

JS ->

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-07-02 00:53:26 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hex Drawing

Ok, script on it's way,

hmm.. I think I will just write a Python plugin for drwaing the hexes straight into The Gimp. It seens that people like it at all.

And yes, when I first designed this script, it was also for drawing a board for a game. :-)

Regards,

JS ->

Mike wrote:
Wow! That sounds really cool. Handy too. Could you possibly send me your script? A friend of mine likes to make board games and having a hex generator would be sooo helpful...
Thanks,
~Mike

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2003-07-02 19:56:02 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hex Drawing

gwidion@mpc.com.br (2003-07-01 at 1953.26 -0300):

hmm.. I think I will just write a Python plugin for drwaing the hexes straight into The Gimp. It seens that people like it at all.

A special purpose filter would be nice, like the Grid or Checkerboard ones; a lot if it does not show the "small" size limits of Mosaic (see next).

And yes, when I first designed this script, it was also for drawing a board for a game. :-)

There is another way to do hexagons (discovered it while trying to make surfaces with holes in hex pattern): Mosaic filter with white layer as input, set Tile Neatness to 1.0, Tile Spacing to the line thickness you want, Tile Height to 1.0 and Color Variation to 0.0. Sadly, max size is 100 pixels.

For the curious, after getting the basic shape, some blur+levels iterations and you get round holes. I have the script if anybody wants it (Perl one working, Scheme translation not finished :[ ).

GSR