RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help needed with creating a GIF image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help needed with creating a GIF image Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 27 Jun 00:46
  Help needed with creating a GIF image Joao S. O. Bueno 27 Jun 03:43
Help needed with creating a GIF image Tom Williams 27 Jun 08:59
Help needed with creating a GIF image M Narramore 27 Jun 20:23
  Help needed with creating a GIF image Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 28 Jun 03:32
4.2.2.20030627130128.00b41c... 07 Oct 20:15
  Help needed with creating a GIF image Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 27 Jun 21:08
Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-06-27 00:46:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi! I'm creating a GIF image with a colored background and some colored text. I'm using gimp 1.2.4 on Windows 2000. Here is what I do:

1. Load an existing GIF that I want to modify (since it already has the desired background)
2. Create a new layer and fill with FG color 3. Select the background layer and use the "eye dropper" to select the background color
4. Select the new layer (with the FG color fill) and use the "Fill tool" to fill this layer with the desired background color 5. Create a new transparent layer
6. Select the background layer (bottom most layer) and use the "eye dropper" to select the color of the text in the background layer 7. Select the transparent layer
8. Use the dynamic text tool to render my desired text in the desired color using the "Monotype Corsiva" Windows font 9. At this point, the image looks PERFECT and the text is smooth and has no "jagged" edges or anything
10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers and the GIF is created.

Now, when I view the newly created GIF, the text has jagged edges and is not smooth like it was when I first rendered it. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-06-27 03:43:14 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi there.

The problem is happening at the time of color reduction to indexed mode, inside the save as gif procedure.

One simple work around seens to be merging your layers manualy, before saving as gif.

JS
->

On Thursday 26 June 2003 19:46, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

Hi! I'm creating a GIF image with a colored background and some colored text. I'm using gimp 1.2.4 on Windows 2000. Here is what I do:

1. Load an existing GIF that I want to modify (since it already has the desired background)
2. Create a new layer and fill with FG color 3. Select the background layer and use the "eye dropper" to select the background color
4. Select the new layer (with the FG color fill) and use the "Fill tool" to fill this layer with the desired background color 5. Create a new transparent layer
6. Select the background layer (bottom most layer) and use the "eye dropper" to select the color of the text in the background layer 7. Select the transparent layer 8. Use the dynamic text tool to render my desired text in the desired color using the "Monotype Corsiva" Windows font 9. At this point, the image looks PERFECT and the text is smooth and has no "jagged" edges or anything 10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers and the GIF is created.

Now, when I view the newly created GIF, the text has jagged edges and is not smooth like it was when I first rendered it. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

Tom Williams
2003-06-27 08:59:55 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Thanks! I'll be sure to give this a try! :)

Peace...

Tom

"Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

Hi there.

The problem is happening at the time of color reduction to indexed mode, inside the save as gif procedure.

One simple work around seens to be merging your layers manualy, before saving as gif.

JS
->

On Thursday 26 June 2003 19:46, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

6. Select the background layer (bottom most layer) and use the "eye dropper" to select the color of the text in the background layer 7. Select the transparent layer 8. Use the dynamic text tool to render my desired text in the desired color using the "Monotype Corsiva" Windows font 9. At this point, the image looks PERFECT and the text is smooth and has no "jagged" edges or anything 10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers and the GIF is created.

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

M Narramore
2003-06-27 20:23:47 UTC (over 20 years ago)

When it is being saved as GIF, is it being done with the optimal color palette (with 256 colors) or is it using the websafe color palette?

As I recall, websafe results in poor quality / jagged edges on fonts.

Matt

At 03:46 PM 6/26/03 -0700, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

6. Select the background layer (bottom most layer) and use the "eye dropper" to select the color of the text in the background layer 7. Select the transparent layer
8. Use the dynamic text tool to render my desired text in the desired color using the "Monotype Corsiva" Windows font 9. At this point, the image looks PERFECT and the text is smooth and has no "jagged" edges or anything
10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers and the GIF is created.

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

2003-06-27 21:08:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I used the default GIF settings, which specied 255 colors I believe. I also tried a "custom web palette" which resulted in the same behavior.

Thanks!

Peace....

Tom

M Narramore cc: Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help needed with creating a GIF image 06/27/2003 10:15 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

When it is being saved as GIF, is it being done with the optimal color palette (with 256 colors) or is it using the websafe color palette?

Matt

10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers

and

the GIF is created.

Now, when I view the newly created GIF, the text has jagged edges and is not smooth like it was when I first rendered it. Any ideas on what's

going

on?

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

2003-06-28 03:32:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Well, I tried it again and saved the image with the optimal color palette set to 256 and it looks exactly like I want!

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

M Narramore To: Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help needed with creating a GIF image erkeley.edu 06/27/2003 11:23 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

Matt

At 03:46 PM 6/26/03 -0700, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

10. Click /File/Save As, I specify "By Extension" as the type and save the image with a ".gif" file extension. I merge all visible layers

and

the GIF is created.

Now, when I view the newly created GIF, the text has jagged edges and is not smooth like it was when I first rendered it. Any ideas on what's

going

on?

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom