RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'Cutout' filter for Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

'Cutout' filter for Gimp? Joao S. O. Bueno 19 Jun 04:44
  'Cutout' filter for Gimp? Dee Dreslough 19 Jun 05:19
Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-06-19 04:44:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 17:15, you wrote:

1) filters->blur->gaussian blur, 3 hor, 2, V 2) adjust brightness and contrast: enhance contrast, augment brighness 3) repeat steps 1 and 2 once.

Thank you so much for answering so clearly, and so quickly! :)

I've been playing with it for a few minutes now, and it looks like it can do what I need. Thanks!

Is Gaussian blur what I should use to try to get rid of Bitmapping if I enlarge a digital color picture, too?

Hi there!

Hmmm...Yes... and as far as I know it can cure any disease, and turn plumbum into gold. :-)

Just kidding - but it's really a usefull tool, this blurring. I first met it even before using the GIMP, for making drop shadows by hand.

Just the other day, I met someone who would use Gaussian Blur to make a better "detect edges" than the filters built with this purpose.

And I certeinly use it to eliminate some of the aliasing when I enlarge pictures. Just rest certain to set interpolation type to Cubic, in the
(main)File->Preferences->Enviroment->Scaling settings. It wil;l certainly do you more good than gaussian blurring in this case.

-Dee

JS
->

Dee Dreslough
2003-06-19 05:19:36 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

(ehhehehe..I remembered to hit the 'Reply to All' button this time. :) ) On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 21:44, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 17:15, you wrote:

1) filters->blur->gaussian blur, 3 hor, 2, V 2) adjust brightness and contrast: enhance contrast, augment brighness 3) repeat steps 1 and 2 once.

And I certeinly use it to eliminate some of the aliasing when I enlarge pictures. Just rest certain to set interpolation type to Cubic, in the
(main)File->Preferences->Enviroment->Scaling settings. It wil;l certainly do you more good than gaussian blurring in this case.

At least with my black and white scans, I'm also finding that using Curves to make the gray colors whiter and the black colors blacker (after gaussian blurring and contrast adjustments) are allowing me to remove the bitmapping from black and white work that I've scaled up too.

Thanks for the help finding all these great new toys! :)

-Dee www.dreslough.com