RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

suddenly can't load .pnm's from xsane, have before

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

suddenly can't load .pnm's from xsane, have before Gene Heskett 14 Jun 00:33
  suddenly can't load .pnm's from xsane, have before Sven Neumann 14 Jun 02:12
   suddenly can't load .pnm's from xsane, have before Gene Heskett 14 Jun 02:38
    suddenly can't load .pnm's from xsane, have before Gene Heskett 14 Jun 03:27
Gene Heskett
2003-06-14 00:33:56 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi all;

First, let me state that I am no-where near a gimp power user, so don't confuse me with somebody who might know what they are doing.

The missus has been watching one of those tv shows where the lady making the quilt is using her scanner to get the patterns into the computer for her tweaking pleasure. So I thought, how difficult is this gonna be since I've had this scanner and keep sane pretty well uptodate from tarballs.

So I dropped her background pattern on the scanner, a checkered tea towel sort of cotton rag, followed by the mini teacups and saucers I was going to plant in the middle of the background pattern to make her up some reproducable block patterns from some stuff she got that can be run thru an inkjet printer and then cutup for quilting pieces.

Yeah, sure. I done this many times and usually load the result up into gimp to adjust and or print. But the material has always been flat before, not 3d & a long ways from the scanner glass like a childs teacup turned upside down, with its saucer on top of it. And a black book on top of that since the scanner lid obviously isn't gonna close on a 3" high object.

But in making the images visually usefull, I had to peg the xsane gamma slider all the way to 3, and diddle the britness and contrast up a ways since these cup and saucer things were about 2.5" tall & therefore hitting a quite wide density range in the raw images.

They actually looked pretty good, although elongated vertically by about 20%, something I figured one of our gfx proggies could fix.

And now the gimp (1.2.3 according to the help screen) cannot load them, any of them, claiming something is out of range.

PNM: invalid maximum value

and followed by a failure advisory window on top of that one.

So what do I do to fix this? I made the mistake of telling the missus it was a piece of cake :(

Sven Neumann
2003-06-14 02:12:10 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

And now the gimp (1.2.3 according to the help screen) cannot load them, any of them, claiming something is out of range.

The PNM files either specify a maximum value of 0 (unlikely) or larger than 255. The latter is not actually invalid but not supported by the GIMP PNM plug-in. You can easily check your files by looking at them in a text editor. The PNM family of file formats has a human readable header which is explained in the ppm(5) man-page.

So what do I do to fix this? I made the mistake of telling the missus it was a piece of cake :(

Well, adding support for 2-byte per channel PNM files to the plug-in would be a piece of cake for any half-way experienced C hacker. If you don't fit into that category, why don't you use xsane directly from The GIMP instead of going through PNM files? Alternatively you could use one of the file formats that XSane supports (like PNG).

Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-06-14 02:38:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 13 June 2003 20:12, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The PNM files either specify a maximum value of 0 (unlikely) or larger than 255. The latter is not actually invalid but not supported by the GIMP PNM plug-in. You can easily check your files by looking at them in a text editor. The PNM family of file formats has a human readable header which is explained in the ppm(5) man-page.

Well, adding support for 2-byte per channel PNM files to the plug-in would be a piece of cake for any half-way experienced C hacker. If you don't fit into that category, why don't you use xsane directly from The GIMP instead of going through PNM files? Alternatively you could use one of the file formats that XSane supports (like PNG).

That has apparently taken a vacation here.

Humm, I thought I had that working, but its apparently an older version of that plugin, xsane asks me to accept the license, then scans, but doesn't find any devices. xsane itself runs just fine from an applet icon. Or there are rpm leftovers of xsane. Yup, it says its 0.84, and I have the 0.91 tarballs installed. ^%%$%$ up2date, I thought I had it trained, but its a forgetfull puppy. But rpm -qa|grep xsane comes up blank so I cannot blame it on up2date.

Where is that puppy?, I'll nuke it and replace it with the lastest xsane-0.91 pluggin. I assume its still sitting in the src dir for xsane-0.91.

Thanks, Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-06-14 03:27:52 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 13 June 2003 20:38, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Friday 13 June 2003 20:12, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

That has apparently taken a vacation here.

Humm, I thought I had that working, but its apparently an older version of that plugin, xsane asks me to accept the license, then scans, but doesn't find any devices. xsane itself runs just fine from an applet icon. Or there are rpm leftovers of xsane. Yup, it says its 0.84, and I have the 0.91 tarballs installed. ^%%$%$ up2date, I thought I had it trained, but its a forgetfull puppy. But rpm -qa|grep xsane comes up blank so I cannot blame it on up2date.

Where is that puppy?, I'll nuke it and replace it with the lastest xsane-0.91 pluggin. I assume its still sitting in the src dir for xsane-0.91.

Humm, on second check, I have the sane 1.10, and xsane-0.90 stuff installed here. I nuked the /usr/bin/xsane-gimp file so gimp can't find the xsane launcher now, but 2 make cleans, 2 make distcleanss, 2 reconfigures of xsane which report that the plugin is enabled, and two makes and installs have not re-installed that plugin. And according to locate, that xsane-gimp file was a unique name. So I've no idea howto force an install of the new plugin for xsane-0.90.

Did anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, Sven