RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how to transform bw image to transparency

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to transform bw image to transparency Andreas Wuest 09 Jun 10:59
  how to transform bw image to transparency zeus 09 Jun 13:53
   how to transform bw image to transparency Sven Neumann 09 Jun 14:12
   how to transform bw image to transparency Steve Crane 09 Jun 23:03
how to transform bw image to transparency craniac (Steve Crane) 09 Jun 12:50
Andreas Wuest
2003-06-09 10:59:22 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

i have a grayscale image (layer). now i want to add transpary to layer (the black parts are not the be transparent, the white parts are to be transparent, the gray parts are to be 50% transparent. so how can i transform (or add) a black and white image to a kind of transparency mask ??

thanks in advance,

Andreas

craniac (Steve Crane)
2003-06-09 12:50:44 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

i have a grayscale image (layer). now i want to add transpary to layer (the
black parts are not the be transparent, the white parts are to be transparent, the gray parts are to be 50% transparent. so how can i transform (or add) a black and white image to a kind of transparency mask ??

You can do this by masking (with a layer mask) the image with the inverse of itself. In other words make sure that the background has an alpha channel, copy the image, add a layer mask and paste the copied image into it. Finally invert the colours of the layer mask.

Regards. --
Steve Crane
http://craniac.afraid.org

zeus
2003-06-09 13:53:26 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

You dont have to use mask.
Change the layer mode into Multiply. On Sen, 2003-06-09 at 15:59, Andreas Wuest wrote:

Hi,

i have a grayscale image (layer). now i want to add transpary to layer (the black parts are not the be transparent, the white parts are to be transparent, the gray parts are to be 50% transparent. so how can i transform (or add) a black and white image to a kind of transparency mask ??

thanks in advance,

Andreas

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Sven Neumann
2003-06-09 14:12:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

zeus writes:

Change the layer mode into Multiply.

Huh? The Multiply layer combination mode doesn't affect the alpha channel at all. How can it turn intensity into transparency?

Sven

Steve Crane
2003-06-09 23:03:07 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:53:26PM +0700, zeus wrote:

Change the layer mode into Multiply.

This is true if the effect you are trying to achieve is "transparency" over the layer below. However if you wished to save the image as say a png with alpha transparency then I think you would need to use the mask.