RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

transparent png's

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

transparent png's David selby 04 Jun 22:31
  transparent png's Jakub Steiner 04 Jun 22:49
   transparent png's David selby 06 Jun 23:07
    transparent png's David selby 09 Jun 02:35
David selby
2003-06-04 22:31:21 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

transparent png's

I use pngs rather than GIFs because of the legal problems. All works well for my linux browsers but I hit problems with IE !!

To get a transparent png which works with IE I have to ...

draw it in the gimp, save as gif ... execute ... gif2png utility
and hey presto my image works in IE with transparency.

However if I draw in gimp and save as png, all is ok in linux browsers (all of them!) but it does not work in IE

Any ideas how to streamline this so I can save from gimp and it all work ?

Dave

Jakub Steiner
2003-06-04 22:49:02 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

transparent png's

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 22:31, David selby wrote:

However if I draw in gimp and save as png, all is ok in linux browsers (all of them!) but it does not work in IE

IE on windows doesn't render RGBA PNGs properly (unless you want to use this kludge:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294714). You can use 1bit transparency PNG similar to what GIF provides. In GIMP index the colors before saving as PNGs (You don't need to do this for GIFs, because Gimp does it for you, GIFs can't be RGBA).

cheers

David selby
2003-06-06 23:07:28 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

transparent png's

Jakub Steiner wrote:

IE on windows doesn't render RGBA PNGs properly (unless you want to use this kludge:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294714). You can use 1bit transparency PNG similar to what GIF provides. In GIMP index the colors before saving as PNGs (You don't need to do this for GIFs, because Gimp does it for you, GIFs can't be RGBA).

cheers

Yuk what a kludge !, pitty they didn't write IE right in the first place !, opps sorry Linux demon comming out !

Many thanks for the tip, I will try as you say and index first. Dave

David selby
2003-06-09 02:35:42 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

transparent png's

David selby wrote:

Jakub Steiner wrote:

cheers

Yuk what a kludge !, pitty they didn't write IE right in the first place !, opps sorry Linux demon comming out !

Many thanks for the tip, I will try as you say and index first. Dave