RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fwd: Re: USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fwd: Re: USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Fred Bazolo 18 Feb 04:08
  Fwd: Re: USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Nigel Ridley 23 Feb 19:24
Fred Bazolo
2003-02-18 04:08:18 UTC (about 21 years ago)

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:01:25 -0500 From: Fred Bazolo
To: Nigel Ridley

I am running Libranet 2.7 kernel 2.4.19 (a Debian variant) and trying to get a Benq (was Acer) 4300U USB scanner to work. The Gimp is 1.2.3

Blessings,

Nigel Ridley

hello again Nigel,

I'm guessing on this. I use an Epson. You probably still have to configure the SANE backend. I don't know what that would be called for your scanner, but for an Epson it's a file called epson.conf. It should be located either in /etc/sane.d or in /usr/local/etc/sane.d - wherever your linux distro installs SANE. Edit the file and make sure that the following line is the only information in the file:

usb /dev/usbscanner0

You may have to replace "/dev/usbscanner0" with the actual device name, but from your information that sounds like what it is.

You don't use an epson, so you will have to look for something like acer.conf or benq.conf, or even ( more probably I think ) snapscan.conf. This is because, after checking the SANE homepage, your scanner uses the snapscan backend.

You may also have to reboot. I don't know, and I'm nobodies linux guru! Good luck. let me know if this works.

By the way, I got most of my information from the SANE homepage, www.freecolormanagement.com/SANE and .../Documentation/usb/scanner.txt. You would probably also want to visit
http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-snapscan.5.html.

-------------------------------------------------------

Nigel Ridley
2003-02-23 19:24:30 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:08:18 -0500 Fred Bazolo wrote:

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:01:25 -0500 From: Fred Bazolo
To: Nigel Ridley

I am running Libranet 2.7 kernel 2.4.19 (a Debian variant) and trying to get a Benq (was Acer) 4300U USB scanner to work. The Gimp is 1.2.3

Blessings,

Nigel Ridley

hello again Nigel,

I'm guessing on this. I use an Epson. You probably still have to configure
the SANE backend. I don't know what that would be called for your scanner, but for an Epson it's a file called epson.conf. It should be located either in /etc/sane.d or in /usr/local/etc/sane.d - wherever your linux distro installs SANE. Edit the file and make sure that the following line is the only information in the file:

usb /dev/usbscanner0

You may have to replace "/dev/usbscanner0" with the actual device name, but from your information that sounds like what it is.

You don't use an epson, so you will have to look for something like acer.conf or benq.conf, or even ( more probably I think ) snapscan.conf. This is because, after checking the SANE homepage, your scanner uses the snapscan backend.

You may also have to reboot. I don't know, and I'm nobodies linux guru! Good luck. let me know if this works.

By the way, I got most of my information from the SANE homepage, www.freecolormanagement.com/SANE and .../Documentation/usb/scanner.txt. You would probably also want to visit http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-snapscan.5.html.

-------------------------------------------------------