RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Nigel Ridley 17 Feb 20:37
  USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Fred Bazolo 17 Feb 20:58
USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp Tom Williams 17 Feb 21:00
  USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp John Culleton 17 Feb 21:56
Nigel Ridley
2003-02-17 20:37:55 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi all,

I know this isn't exactly Gimp stuff - but I am trying to access my new USB scanner through the Gimp:
File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB scanner :-)
Anyway, I've done a lot of google-ing but so far have been unable to find out how
to set it up.
When I re-booted the system (I installed a new sound card - SBLive [which I'm still trying to get working]) the usb modules loaded ok and I have an entry /dev/usb/scanner0 (-rw-rw-rw-). However, when I try to access it from within the Gimp (or thru Xsane), I get an error message that no devices are available.

I did do a 'sane-find-scanner -v' and got the following: sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and product ids were identified
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04a5, product = 0x20b0) at device /dev/usb/scanner0

Do I have to mount the scanner first- if so what do I put in /etc/fstab? Or is it that I have to make the system think that it is a scsi device?

Any pointers welcome :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

I AM Bible Studies and Resources http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com http://www.messianicecards.com

OliveRoot Ministries http://www.oliveroot.net

Fred Bazolo
2003-02-17 20:58:12 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Monday 17 February 2003 11:37, Nigel Ridley wrote:

Hi all,

I know this isn't exactly Gimp stuff - but I am trying to access my new USB scanner through the Gimp:
File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB scanner

:-)

Anyway, I've done a lot of google-ing but so far have been unable to find out how
to set it up.
When I re-booted the system (I installed a new sound card - SBLive [which I'm still trying to get working]) the usb modules loaded ok and I have an entry /dev/usb/scanner0 (-rw-rw-rw-). However, when I try to access it from within the Gimp (or thru Xsane), I get an error message that no devices are available.

I did do a 'sane-find-scanner -v' and got the following: sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and product ids were identified
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04a5, product = 0x20b0) at device /dev/usb/scanner0

Do I have to mount the scanner first- if so what do I put in /etc/fstab? Or is it that I have to make the system think that it is a scsi device?

Blessings,

Nigel

what brand of scanner, what version of linux, what version of GIMP, etc ?

Tom Williams
2003-02-17 21:00:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Nigel Ridley wrote:

Hi all,

File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB scanner :-)
to set it up.

Blessings,

Nigel

First, you have to get your scanner working under XSane. This problem is not a GIMP problem and I'm willing to work with you on this offline. I have a HP ScanJet 5200C (USB) that I use with GIMP and XSane without problems. I also encountered the same problem you did and WAS able to get it resolved through XSane configuration changes.

E-mail me your scanner make/model and we can go from there.... :)

Peace...

Tom

John Culleton
2003-02-17 21:56:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Monday 17 February 2003 20:00, Tom Williams wrote:

Nigel Ridley wrote:

Hi all,

File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB scanner

:-)

to set it up.

Here is my setup.

The xsane program is linked into /usr/local/lib/gmp/1.2/plugins directory.

There is a necessary file called /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf

An important line in this file says: usb /dev/usbscanner

The actual device file is: crw-rw-rw- 2 root root 180, 48 Mar 25 2001 /dev/usbscanner

When I boot I get these messages (try dmesg | less to examine yours)

usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.

As the others said, let us have all the gory details. I have an Epson Perfection 1240U.

HTH