RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp 1.3.11 install ?-- having pango/freetype woes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp 1.3.11 install ?-- having pango/freetype woes William H. Fissell 10 Feb 04:54
William H. Fissell
2003-02-10 04:54:47 UTC (about 21 years ago)

gimp 1.3.11 install ?-- having pango/freetype woes

hello,

I have spent about 4 days searching archives for the answer to waht I suspect is a silly question.

In short, I couldn't use gimp to print (reasonably) to my Photosmart 7150, and gimp wasn't being nice (like wasn't saving my printer setups for me, so if I spent an hour setting the gamma, it was all gone the next page I wanted to print), so i figured, well, first step is get the most up-to-date version of anything... so I downloaded the 1.3.11 source, and started the ./configure dance. Didn't get far...

1. it seems that gimp and gimp-print each want each other to exist first-- this seems like a "race condition". Do I reaaly have to compile gimp without printing, compile gimp-print,a nd then recompilee gimp?

2. GIMP wants pango with freetype 2.

I have rpmed in freetype2

[root@pasteur pango-1.2.1]# rpm -qa | grep freetype freetype-devel-2.1.2-7
freetype-2.1.2-7
freetype-utils-2.1.2-7

but when I compile pango, pangoft2.* doesn't happen. what am I missing?

all I did was the ./configure make make install dance with pango, and I couldn't find anything in the doc to tell me how to tell it about freetype2. It does identify a freetype >=2.0 in the config. I tried ./configure --with-freetype2 but that didn't help.

3. everything complains about xft and fontconfig being missing. tried rpming those in and Xft went fine but fontconfig barfed wanting a newer glibc than I had. Are these necessary?

I have RH 7.X, and XFree86 4.2.0

recompiled and installed GTK2.2.1, and all of the "upstream stuff" for that wihtout any explosions.

thanks for any help about what I am missing.

Bill