RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

exif data and lossless jpeg transformations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.1713.1043880488.142... 07 Oct 20:15
  exif data and lossless jpeg transformations Pieter Eendebak 29 Jan 23:38
   exif data and lossless jpeg transformations Terry Hancock 30 Jan 02:32
Pieter Eendebak
2003-01-29 23:38:24 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi!

This probably has been over the list a few times before, but the information on the internet is very limited and I cannot search the mail archives.

I have a digital camera and after taking photo's I want to edit my images.

- If I do a rotation in the Gimp on a jpeg file will the rotation be lossless (for 90 degree rotations)?
- How can I let gimp preserve the exif data? My version of gimp (1.2.3) does not do this.

thanks,
pieter

Terry Hancock
2003-01-30 02:32:34 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 02:38 pm, Pieter Eendebak wrote:

- If I do a rotation in the Gimp on a jpeg file will the rotation be

lossless

(for 90 degree rotations)?

I think you're actually asking the wrong question: A 90-degree rotation should be lossless, but you can't rotate a "jpeg" in Gimp, you rotate a "Gimp image". You already converted the jpeg to a gimp image when you loaded it, and you will convert it back to a jpeg when you save it (with potential loss of data).

If you choose to save it as a PNG, though, then you will lose no data relative to what you saw when you loaded it into Gimp (but of course data was lost in recording the image on your camera).

Whether, in practice, rotating a jpeg has a significant impact on its jpeg compressibility (i.e. whether jpeg compression is invariant with respect to 90 degree rotations) is a mathematical question about the quality of the jpeg agorithm, which I unfortunately don't know the answer to. But in practice, I have never observed noticeable degradation from doing this.

I still like to use PNG format images for intermediate work in Gimp (so long as I have the disk space, which has not been a problem so far), just to be safe. But it's more like a compulsive habit than a really documented need.

Cheers, Terry

--
Terry Hancock ( hancock at anansispaceworks.com ) Anansi Spaceworks http://www.anansispaceworks.com

"Some things are too important to be taken seriously"