RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

TIFF File Resolution Change

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

TIFF File Resolution Change Kevin Myers 09 Jan 08:52
  TIFF File Resolution Change Fred Bazolo 09 Jan 13:14
  TIFF File Resolution Change Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 09 Jan 17:15
TIFF File Resolution Change Kevin Myers 09 Jan 15:20
  TIFF File Resolution Change Fred Bazolo 09 Jan 18:59
  TIFF File Resolution Change Jon Winters 09 Jan 23:02
TIFF File Resolution Change psyche@studio.imagemagick.org 09 Jan 16:06
TIFF File Resolution Change Kevin Myers 09 Jan 23:40
  TIFF File Resolution Change Tim Arheit 10 Jan 02:02
Kevin Myers
2003-01-09 08:52:18 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hello,

Does anyone out there happen to know of a utility that can simply change the image resolution values that are imbedded in a TIFF file? For example, I would like to be able to change 200 dpi to 400 dpi and thereby reduce the output size of the image by half, while maintaining the same pixel count. I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading and writing the actual pixel data, rather just directly replace the resolution values instead.

Why would I want to do that? Well for one thing, it would just be handy sometimes to maintain relative image quality while changing the image size. But primarily I need this at the moment because it might allow me to work around a bug in gimp 1.2.4 that seems to be triggered by exceeding a certain physical dimension size limit for an image (NOT a maximum file size or pixel count)

I think that perhaps this can be accomplished with ImageMagick, but I don't seem to be able to figure out the proper command line parameters.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

s/KAM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug. http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/e4wwlB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

List archives: To unsubscribe send a blank message from the address you're subscribed to

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Fred Bazolo
2003-01-09 13:14:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

hey Kevin,

Just do "Image" -> "Scale Image" and adjust the dpi accordingly. That seems to work.

Fred

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 23:52, Kevin Myers wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone out there happen to know of a utility that can simply change the image resolution values that are imbedded in a TIFF file? For example, I would like to be able to change 200 dpi to 400 dpi and thereby reduce the output size of the image by half, while maintaining the same pixel count. I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading and writing the actual pixel data, rather just directly replace the resolution values instead.

Why would I want to do that? Well for one thing, it would just be handy sometimes to maintain relative image quality while changing the image size. But primarily I need this at the moment because it might allow me to work around a bug in gimp 1.2.4 that seems to be triggered by exceeding a certain physical dimension size limit for an image (NOT a maximum file size or pixel count)

I think that perhaps this can be accomplished with ImageMagick, but I don't seem to be able to figure out the proper command line parameters.

s/KAM

Kevin Myers
2003-01-09 15:20:30 UTC (over 21 years ago)

But Fred, that requires me to load the image into the GIMP first, which I can't do because something about the image's physical dimension is too large. I need to adjust the resolution BEFORE loading into the GIMP...

s/KAM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Bazolo"
To: "gimp users"
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 6:14 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] TIFF File Resolution Change

hey Kevin,

Just do "Image" -> "Scale Image" and adjust the dpi accordingly. That seems to
work.

Fred

Hello,

Does anyone out there happen to know of a utility that can simply change the image resolution values that are imbedded in a TIFF file? For

example,

I would like to be able to change 200 dpi to 400 dpi and thereby reduce

the

output size of the image by half, while maintaining the same pixel count. I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading and writing the actual pixel data, rather just directly replace the resolution values instead.

Why would I want to do that? Well for one thing, it would just be handy sometimes to maintain relative image quality while changing the image

size.

But primarily I need this at the moment because it might allow me to work around a bug in gimp 1.2.4 that seems to be triggered by exceeding a certain physical dimension size limit for an image (NOT a maximum file

size

or pixel count)

I think that perhaps this can be accomplished with ImageMagick, but I

don't

seem to be able to figure out the proper command line parameters.

s/KAM

psyche@studio.imagemagick.org
2003-01-09 16:06:31 UTC (over 21 years ago)

would like to be able to change 200 dpi to 400 dpi

The resolution is meta-information. It will have no effect on the image size. If you want a half-size image to view with gimp, use convert:

convert -sample 50% image.tif new.tif

Sampling is relatively fast to using

convert -geometry 50% image.tif new.tif

but -geometry produces a better looking image.

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-01-09 17:15:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:52:18AM -0600, Kevin Myers wrote:

Well, you can't do it with ImageMagick ;) It does read the image in, and, since this is difficult in the general case, I doubt such a program exists.

Fred Bazolo
2003-01-09 18:59:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Oops! Sorry Kevin! My brain took a wrong turn. ha!

Fred

On Thursday 09 January 2003 06:20, you wrote:

But Fred, that requires me to load the image into the GIMP first, which I can't do because something about the image's physical dimension is too large. I need to adjust the resolution BEFORE loading into the GIMP...

s/KAM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Bazolo"
To: "gimp users"
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 6:14 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] TIFF File Resolution Change

hey Kevin,

Just do "Image" -> "Scale Image" and adjust the dpi accordingly. That seems to
work.

Fred

Hello,

Does anyone out there happen to know of a utility that can simply change the image resolution values that are imbedded in a TIFF file? For

example,

I would like to be able to change 200 dpi to 400 dpi and thereby reduce

the

output size of the image by half, while maintaining the same pixel count. I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading and writing the actual pixel data, rather just directly replace the resolution values instead.

Why would I want to do that? Well for one thing, it would just be handy sometimes to maintain relative image quality while changing the image

size.

But primarily I need this at the moment because it might allow me to work around a bug in gimp 1.2.4 that seems to be triggered by exceeding a certain physical dimension size limit for an image (NOT a maximum file

size

or pixel count)

I think that perhaps this can be accomplished with ImageMagick, but I

don't

seem to be able to figure out the proper command line parameters.

s/KAM

Jon Winters
2003-01-09 23:02:42 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I think I found it over on the ImageMagick user list...

Try this:

mogrify -density 96 foo.tiff

Instead of 96 use whatever you want the resolution to be.

Good luck!

Kevin Myers
2003-01-09 23:40:13 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Thanks to Jon for the suggestion.

Jon's approach (using mogrify's -density option) does indeed result in the desired change to the file. I was surprised to find that this worked, since the docs indicate that -density only applies to decoding of PS and PDF files...?

Unfortunately using mogrify in this manner is quite slow for the very large images that I am working with. Obviously ImageMagick is loading the entire file then writing it right back out again. That's completely unnecessary when all I want to accomplish is to make a simple change to two metadata fields in the header for the image in the tiff file.

At the moment I'm considering modifying tiffset (a simple utility supplied with libtiff) to give me something that can (hopefully) change the resolution metadata hundreds of times more quickly. That's important, because I have a large number of very large images to be modified.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Winters"
To: "Kevin Myers"
Cc: "gimp users"
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 4:02 PM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] TIFF File Resolution Change

I think I found it over on the ImageMagick user list...

Try this:

mogrify -density 96 foo.tiff

Instead of 96 use whatever you want the resolution to be.

Good luck!

-- Jon Winters O O O O O O O "History Will Prove us right" http://www.obscurasite.com/jon/ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \

Tim Arheit
2003-01-10 02:02:13 UTC (over 21 years ago)

At 04:40 PM 1/9/2003 -0600, Kevin Myers wrote:

At the moment I'm considering modifying tiffset (a simple utility supplied with libtiff) to give me something that can (hopefully) change the resolution metadata hundreds of times more quickly. That's important, because I have a large number of very large images to be modified.

I'm sure it can be done very quickly by reading the Tags in the tiff and simply modifying the XResolution and YResolution tags. You can get the TIFF specification at www.wotsit.org. I've got some VB code that reads the Width and Height tags, and i'm sure it can be easily modified to also read (and modify) the resolution tags. E-mail me if you want it.

-Tim