RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Nathan Carl Summers 18 Dec 21:19
  New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Simon Budig 19 Dec 16:39
   New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Stephen J Baker 19 Dec 20:49
  New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Raphaël Quinet 19 Dec 17:59
   Rapha?l's questions about web team (was FAQ) Carol Spears 19 Dec 21:24
New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Carol Spears 18 Dec 22:28
  New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions John Culleton 18 Dec 23:51
  New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Carol Spears 19 Dec 21:28
   New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 20 Dec 05:31
  New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Steve Crane 21 Dec 13:39
New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 19 Dec 00:21
New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Tim Lambert 20 Dec 03:14
New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Thomas Lund 20 Dec 14:57
Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-18 21:19:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

The gimp web team has desired that the current FAQ's be updated to reflect the current 1.2.x reality for some time. Unfortunately, it has not been able to contact the FAQ maintainer, and the licence on the current FAQ's do not allow for modifications. If we are not able to contact Miles soon, we will have to do a "clean room" reimplementation of the FAQ's from scratch. The results will be placed under the GNU Free Documentation License.

We have decided to do this in two parts. First, we will issue a Call for Questions. Please send in all questions you would like to have in the new Gimp User FAQ to rock@gimp.org, and CC them to the lists for discussion.

Once the questions have been selected, I will arrange them and issue a Call for Answers. Please then send me a message stating your intent to write an answer, and CC it to the lists so that no one else takes that question. If I do not recieve an answer within three days, I will open that question up again.

Once all the questions are answered, I will send a final draft out for comments.

Soon thereafter we will start with the Call for Questions for the Developer FAQ.

I must reiterate that copying from the current GIMP FAQ's is simply not acceptable. Such submissions will be rejected.

If English is not your first language, don't feel that you can't take part. Any grammar mistakes will be lovingly corrected, so even if your English is not perfect, you can still contribute significantly.

FAQ entries should be written with respect to 1.2.x, but should also contain any significant changes in 1.3.x. If you don't use 1.3.x, it is not neccessary to mention differences in 1.3.x -- they will be added by the GIMP web team.

Please do not assume that all readers of this document will be Linux users -- we want to treat users of all supported operating systems equally, to the extent that our limited resources are capible of supporting.

Here is a list of questions to start with:

1. What is the GIMP? 2. What does GIMP stand for?
3. What features does it have?
3a. Does it support CMYK? 16-bit per channel images? Floating-point channels?
4. What are the minimum system requirements? 4a. What operating systems is it available for? 5. Where can I get it?
5a. There are some binary versions on the GIMP website. Should I download them or build GIMP myself?
5b. Where can I get non-official gimp packages for foo? 6. What version should I get?
7. What documentation is available? 8. Where can I find other GIMP stuff? 9. Is GIMP a true GNU program?
10. What is the history of GIMP?
11. What is the relationship between GNOME and GIMP? 12. Easter eggs are fun. Does GIMP have any? 13. Does GIMP support digital cameras? 14. Does GIMP support scanners?
15. Does GIMP support Wacom tablets? 15a.How about other drawing tablets? 16. Is there a GIMP mailing list?
17. How about an IRC channel?
18. Ok, I'm trying to compile gimp, and this `./configure' program complains about missing or old libraries. What gives? 18a.But I know I have the right version of libfoo! Why can't configure find it?
19. How do layers work?
20. Channels?
21. Paths?
22. Selections?
23. How can I draw basic shapes (straight line, circle, square, etc.)? 24. How can I change the color I draw in? 25. How can I make what I have selected into a separate image? 26. How can I add what I have selected into a new image? 27. How can I make part of my image transparent? 28. How can I change keybindings?
29. How can I do gamma correction?
30. What are plug-ins?
31. Where can I find new plug-ins?
32a.How can I add them to my GIMP?
33. EEEK! I downloaded the latest version of gimp, and my favorite plug-in has dissappeared!
34. Are Photoshop Filters/Plugins supported? 35. What is Script-Fu?
36. Where can I learn more about it? 37. How can I call a plug-in in Script-Fu? How about another script? 38. What in the world is a "Procedural Database Error?" 39. Is there a macro recorder that automagically creates Script-Fu scripts for me?
40. Can I add my own brushes?
41. Can I add my own patterns?
42. Can I give a copy of this gradient or palette I've created to a friend?
43. My fonts are ugly.
44. What font formats does GIMP support? 45. Where can I get more fonts?
46. The font that the GIMP uses for its menu text is nappy. How can I change it?
47. What is this "XCF" file format? Why should I use it? 48. What other formats does GIMP support? 49. I can't save my file as a GIF or TIFF. 50. I can't save my file as some other file format. 51. How can I add support for the foo file format to GIMP? 52. What languages does GIMP support? 53. Does GIMP support XInput?
54. Why doesn't text in my native language render correctly with the Text tool?
55. Does GIMP support bidirectional output? 56. How do I use batch mode?
57. Do I have to use an X server to run GIMP even in batch mode? 58. How can I call a Script-Fu script using batch mode? 59. How can I connect my web server to GIMP like flamingtext.com? 60. GIMP is slow. How can I speed it up? 61. How can I see which bugs have been reported? 62. How can I report a bug I've found which hasn't been reported yet? 63. I get an error about "MIT-SHM" or "XShmAttach." (does this still happen?)
64. I'm using . What problems specific to it do you know about?
65. I'm using . What problems specific to it do you know about?
66. Who wrote GIMP?
67. Who has contributed to the FAQ?
68. Who wrote the included plug-ins? 69. Who wrote the Script-Fu scripts? 70. Who made the brushes and patterns included with the GIMP? 71. Who made the gradients and palettes incluced with the GIMP? 72. Who created the artwork?
73. Who is the GIMP FAQ team?
74. Who has contributed to the FAQ?

Rockwalrus

Carol Spears
2002-12-18 22:28:12 UTC (over 21 years ago)

this letter is waiting for moderator approval. i thought a simple forward would be best.

----- Forwarded message from Nathan Carl Summers -----

Subject: New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:06:01 -0800 (PST)

The gimp web team has desired that the current FAQ's be updated to reflect the current 1.2.x reality for some time. Unfortunately, it has not been able to contact the FAQ maintainer, and the licence on the current FAQ's do not allow for modifications. If we are not able to contact Miles soon, we will have to do a "clean room" reimplementation of the FAQ's from scratch. The results will be placed under the GNU Free Documentation License.

We have decided to do this in two parts. First, we will issue a Call for Questions. Please send in all questions you would like to have in the new Gimp User FAQ to rock@gimp.org, and CC them to the lists for discussion.

Once the questions have been selected, I will arrange them and issue a Call for Answers. Please then send me a message stating your intent to write an answer, and CC it to the lists so that no one else takes that question. If I do not recieve an answer within three days, I will open that question up again.

Once all the questions are answered, I will send a final draft out for comments.

Soon thereafter we will start with the Call for Questions for the Developer FAQ.

I must reiterate that copying from the current GIMP FAQ's is simply not acceptable. Such submissions will be rejected.

If English is not your first language, don't feel that you can't take part. Any grammar mistakes will be lovingly corrected, so even if your English is not perfect, you can still contribute significantly.

FAQ entries should be written with respect to 1.2.x, but should also contain any significant changes in 1.3.x. If you don't use 1.3.x, it is not neccessary to mention differences in 1.3.x -- they will be added by the GIMP web team.

Please do not assume that all readers of this document will be Linux users -- we want to treat users of all supported operating systems equally, to the extent that our limited resources are capible of supporting.

4. What are the minimum system requirements? 4a. What operating systems is it available for? 5. Where can I get it?
5a. There are some binary versions on the GIMP website. Should I download them or build GIMP myself?
5b. Where can I get non-official gimp packages for foo? 6. What version should I get?
7. What documentation is available? 8. Where can I find other GIMP stuff? 9. Is GIMP a true GNU program?
11. What is the relationship between GNOME and GIMP? 12. Easter eggs are fun. Does GIMP have any? 13. Does GIMP support digital cameras? 14. Does GIMP support scanners?
15. Does GIMP support Wacom tablets? 15a.How about other drawing tablets? 16. Is there a GIMP mailing list?
18. Ok, I'm trying to compile gimp, and this `./configure' program complains about missing or old libraries. What gives? 18a.But I know I have the right version of libfoo! Why can't configure find it?
19. How do layers work?
20. Channels?
21. Paths?
22. Selections?
23. How can I draw basic shapes (straight line, circle, square, etc.)? 24. How can I change the color I draw in? 25. How can I make what I have selected into a separate image? 26. How can I add what I have selected into a new image? 27. How can I make part of my image transparent? 28. How can I change keybindings?
30. What are plug-ins?
33. EEEK! I downloaded the latest version of gimp, and my favorite plug-in has dissappeared!
36. Where can I learn more about it? 37. How can I call a plug-in in Script-Fu? How about another script? 38. What in the world is a "Procedural Database Error?" 39. Is there a macro recorder that automagically creates Script-Fu scripts for me?
43. My fonts are ugly.
46. The font that the GIMP uses for its menu text is nappy. How can I change it?
47. What is this "XCF" file format? Why should I use it? 48. What other formats does GIMP support? 49. I can't save my file as a GIF or TIFF. 50. I can't save my file as some other file format. 51. How can I add support for the foo file format to GIMP? 52. What languages does GIMP support? 53. Does GIMP support XInput?
57. Do I have to use an X server to run GIMP even in batch mode? 58. How can I call a Script-Fu script using batch mode? 59. How can I connect my web server to GIMP like flamingtext.com? 60. GIMP is slow. How can I speed it up? 61. How can I see which bugs have been reported? 62. How can I report a bug I've found which hasn't been reported yet? 63. I get an error about "MIT-SHM" or "XShmAttach." (does this still happen?)
66. Who wrote GIMP?
68. Who wrote the included plug-ins? 69. Who wrote the Script-Fu scripts? 70. Who made the brushes and patterns included with the GIMP? 71. Who made the gradients and palettes incluced with the GIMP? 72. Who created the artwork?

Rockwalrus

----- End forwarded message -----

John Culleton
2002-12-18 23:51:58 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 21:28, Carol Spears wrote:

this letter is waiting for moderator approval. i thought a simple forward would be best.

Subject: New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:06:01 -0800 (PST)

OK here is my FAQ:
How does one set defaults in Gimp for e.g., output formats?

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2002-12-19 00:21:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi! Here are some questions I have:

*) Where can I find "good" gimp tutorials?

*) How close in functionality to PhotoShop is the gimp?

*) What versions of PhotoShop .PSD files are supported by the PhotoShop plug-in?

*) How can I change the foreground color of some text to a pattern?

*) What are layer "masks" and how do they work?

*) How does the "Xtns/Script-Fu" menu differ from the "Script-Fu" pop-up menu?

*) Is it possible to align text along a curve in an image? If so, how is it done?

*) How can I find out the step-by-step process to make the logo effects in the "Xtns/Script-Fu/Logos" menu? I can see the resultant layer data, but have NO idea of how to do that myself.

*) What does "feathering" mean?

*) What books on the gimp are recommended? Beginner and intermediate level books would be great.

*) Where can I find online resources/tutorials on creating animations with gimp?

I will post more as I think of them.... :)

Peace....

Tom

----- Forwarded by Tom Williams/HQ/dssi on 12/18/02 02:05 PM ----- Carol Spears To: GIMP Users Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.be Subject: [Gimp-user] New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions rkeley.edu 12/18/02 01:28 PM Please respond to Rockwlrs

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

19. How do layers work?
20. Channels?
21. Paths?
22. Selections?
30. What are plug-ins?
43. My fonts are ugly.
66. Who wrote GIMP?

Rockwalrus

----- End forwarded message -----

Simon Budig
2002-12-19 16:39:21 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Nathan Carl Summers (rock@gimp.org) wrote:

Hmm. Looking at the impressive list of questions I get the impression that this is a synthetic FAQ - someone has thought a lot about what questions might get asked frequently.

While this is a valid approach I think it tends to be duplicate work when compared to the regular documentation. We should consider to just add the questions that really get asked.

I sifted through the questions and have marked them where I think they belong to.

Of course a synthetic FAQ is fine also, but we should be aware that we doing a synthetic FAQ then and might have more work with it.

1. What is the GIMP?
2. What does GIMP stand for?

-> Web

-> FAQ

5b. Where can I get non-official gimp packages for foo?

-> Web

6. What version should I get?
7. What documentation is available?

-> FAQ

8. Where can I find other GIMP stuff? 9. Is GIMP a true GNU program?
11. What is the relationship between GNOME and GIMP?

-> Web

12. Easter eggs are fun. Does GIMP have any?

-> FAQ (please don't list them...)

13. Does GIMP support digital cameras? 14. Does GIMP support scanners?
15. Does GIMP support Wacom tablets? 15a.How about other drawing tablets?

(not sure if it is useful to single out Wacom here)

16. Is there a GIMP mailing list? 17. How about an IRC channel?

-> Web (maybe FAQ, but I am not sure if that really gets asked)

-> Web

19. How do layers work?
20. Channels?
21. Paths?
22. Selections?

-> Docs

23. How can I draw basic shapes (straight line, circle, square, etc.)?

-> FAQ

24. How can I change the color I draw in? 25. How can I make what I have selected into a separate image? 26. How can I add what I have selected into a new image? 27. How can I make part of my image transparent? 28. How can I change keybindings?

Uh, no real idea, maybe FAQ. Does 24 really get asked? I'd add "27a. How can I make a certain color transparent"

30. What are plug-ins?
36. Where can I learn more about it?

-> Web

37. How can I call a plug-in in Script-Fu? How about another script? 38. What in the world is a "Procedural Database Error?" 39. Is there a macro recorder that automagically creates Script-Fu scripts for me?

-> FAQ

43. My fonts are ugly.

-> FAQ (what is "nappy"?)

47. What is this "XCF" file format? Why should I use it?

Isn't the real question "How can I keep all information in my image" or sthg. like that?

48. What other formats does GIMP support?

-> Web

49. I can't save my file as a GIF or TIFF. 50. I can't save my file as some other file format. 51. How can I add support for the foo file format to GIMP?

-> FAQ

52. What languages does GIMP support?

-> Web

53. Does GIMP support XInput?

This probably should be close to the question for tablet support.

57. Do I have to use an X server to run GIMP even in batch mode? 58. How can I call a Script-Fu script using batch mode? 59. How can I connect my web server to GIMP like flamingtext.com? 60. GIMP is slow. How can I speed it up?

-> FAQ

61. How can I see which bugs have been reported? 62. How can I report a bug I've found which hasn't been reported yet?

-> Web

63. I get an error about "MIT-SHM" or "XShmAttach." (does this still happen?)

maybe FAQ

66. Who wrote GIMP?

-> Web

-> FAQ

Ok. I am not subscribed to gimp-user so I might have missed questions that really get asked frequently - IMHO these should be added to the FAQ - maybe just give a link in the Gimp Docs.

Comments?

Bye, Simon

Raphaël Quinet
2002-12-19 17:59:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:19:28 -0800 (PST), Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

The gimp web team has desired that the current FAQ's be updated to reflect the current 1.2.x reality for some time.

Sorry to rehash a topic that has already been mentioned a few days ago on the gimp-dev list, but what is the gimp web team and how do I get in touch with it? I haven't seen the FAQ topic being discussed on the gimp-web list (which would be the appropriate place for this).

Also, I would be nice for me to know what is being planned, since I am the current maintainer for www.gimp.org and I have just updated some of the FAQ links on these pages (pointing to the GUG FAQs for the moment). Note that I will be away from the 'net for the next 10 days so it is a bit late for me to ask, but it would be nice if a bit more information was shared on the gimp-web mailing list.

I think that it would be nicer to have a list of questions that have already been asked than a list of questions that could be interesting but have never been asked in practice. The latter tends to duplicate the existing documentation.

Anyway, I think that the first question in the list (or the second one, just after "What is the GIMP?") should be "Where can I get more information?". The FAQ will never be complete, so it is important to point to other sources of information (help pages, documentation, web sites) so that the user know where to find the answer to some questions that would not be in the FAQ.

-Raphaël

Stephen J Baker
2002-12-19 20:49:53 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Simon Budig wrote:

Hmm. Looking at the impressive list of questions I get the impression that this is a synthetic FAQ - someone has thought a lot about what questions might get asked frequently.

While this is a valid approach I think it tends to be duplicate work when compared to the regular documentation. We should consider to just add the questions that really get asked.

The thing is that in many cases, a question is frequently asked - but not on any of the GIMP mailing lists. I'm a reasonably proficient GIMP user - and I get asked LOTS of questions at work - some of them frequently enough to justify a FAQ entry IMHO. If you just do something like trawl through the last N years of GIMP user mailing list questions, I doubt that you'd get a realistic idea of things that could usefully be in a FAQ.

My #1 FAQ from people where I work is:

Q: I'm trying to paint and nothing is happening - what did I do wrong?

A: Eeek! There are about 1e6 things that could be: * You are painting outside of the selection. * You've picked some kind of 'do nothing' paint. * Your paint colour is the same as the background. * You are painting to a layer that's hidden. * You are painting to a layer that's rendered at 100% transparency.
* Try hitting 'Layers/Anchor'. * Try hitting 'Layers/Layer-to-Image-Size'. ...and lots of others...
* Look - just save the image, restart GIMP and load it back in again - I'm too busy to figure it out.

...and "How do I draw triangles/squares/.../stellated-dodecahedra?" is definitely second.

Just because something is in the manual doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the FAQ too. If the question is frequently asked then presumably it's being asked because the user didn't read the manual or couldn't find the answer clearly expressed within a reasonable amount of time.

FAQ's are a good shortcut route to answer newbies questions.

---- Steve Baker (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail) L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax) Work: sjbaker@link.com http://www.link.com Home: sjbaker1@airmail.net http://www.sjbaker.org

Carol Spears
2002-12-19 21:24:42 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Rapha?l's questions about web team (was FAQ)

On 2002-12-19 at 1759.28 +0100, Rapha?l Quinet typed this:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:19:28 -0800 (PST), Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

The gimp web team has desired that the current FAQ's be updated to reflect the current 1.2.x reality for some time.

Sorry to rehash a topic that has already been mentioned a few days ago on the gimp-dev list, but what is the gimp web team and how do I get in touch with it? I haven't seen the FAQ topic being discussed on the gimp-web list (which would be the appropriate place for this).

well, i want a working news and contest before i have an official team and any sort of official announcement of the new site (which is at http://mmmaybe.gimp.org now btw)

i need to get that eh, wiki off the front and the nifty news and contest i have seen and operated already to be there instead.

should be soon.

wish i could show some photos of the "semi truck" accident that has slowed things down some here.

contact me if you have ideas, wait for official announcements to fix typos and things.

sorry it isn't as organized as it should be.

Rapha?l, any more questions? sorry it is going like this. i dunno any other way though. ;)

carol

Carol Spears
2002-12-19 21:28:17 UTC (over 21 years ago)

i have a question for a FAQ.

At what point is it better to use The GIMP for batch processing over Image Magick?

i ask this question because there are some things about gimp that are nicer than Image Magick. I read from someone (jlbec on #gimp) that The GIMP hands saving as png much much better than Image Magick. so i would like to see those sort of issues addressed in a FAQ.

carol

Tim Lambert
2002-12-20 03:14:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

"Stephen J Baker" writes:

My #1 FAQ from people where I work is:

Q: I'm trying to paint and nothing is happening - what did I do wrong?

Yeah, me too. How hard do you think it would be to have a 'novice mode' where gimp detects this and pops up a tip on how to fix things?

Tim

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2002-12-20 05:31:56 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:28:17PM -0500, Carol Spears wrote:

At what point is it better to use The GIMP for batch processing over Image Magick?

For one, whenever you want to interactively adjust sth. ImageMagick is a blind flight, with gimp you can more easily change parameters, retry etc..

Also, Gimp might have that "effect of the day" you really need. In this case ImageMagick simply isn't an option. And the Gimp has _lots_ of effects ;) The same is true for any script or function that is available for the gimp but not ImageMagick.

Last not least, ImageMagick can be a memory hog and almost always is extremely slow in everything. Gimp can be a lot faster, and when you have to process 20,000+ images that might save a lot of hours.

nicer than Image Magick. I read from someone (jlbec on #gimp) that The GIMP hands saving as png much much better than Image Magick. so i would

Well, we'd like to know in what respect ;)

Thomas Lund
2002-12-20 14:57:09 UTC (over 21 years ago)

GET ME OFF THIS LIST!

And no, the unsubscribe-mail don't work. Tried it many times.

----- Original Message ----- From:
To: "GIMP Users"
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 5:31 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:28:17PM -0500, Carol Spears

wrote:

For one, whenever you want to interactively adjust sth. ImageMagick is a blind flight, with gimp you can more easily change parameters, retry etc..

Also, Gimp might have that "effect of the day" you really need. In this case ImageMagick simply isn't an option. And the Gimp has _lots_ of effects ;) The same is true for any script or function that is available for the gimp but not ImageMagick.

Last not least, ImageMagick can be a memory hog and almost always is extremely slow in everything. Gimp can be a lot faster, and when you have to process 20,000+ images that might save a lot of hours.

nicer than Image Magick. I read from someone (jlbec on #gimp) that The GIMP hands saving as png much much better than Image Magick. so i would

Well, we'd like to know in what respect ;)

-- -----==- | ----==-- _ | ---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ Marc Lehmann +-- --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / pcg@goof.com |e| -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ XX11-RIPE --+ The choice of a GNU generation | |

Steve Crane
2002-12-21 13:39:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Here are a few ideas for questions for the new FAQ.

1. Can I use brushes from other software such as Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro with the GIMP?

2. How can I ensure that certain of the GIMP's windows, for instance the Levels or Crop and Resize Information windows, always open in the same position on screen?

Regards.