RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

About subscriptions (Was: Re: Two Questions...)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Two Questions... Pat Suwalski 14 Dec 04:11
Two Questions... Thomas Lund 14 Dec 18:01
  About subscriptions (Was: Re: Two Questions...) Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 14 Dec 19:32
pat@suwalski.net 07 Oct 20:15
  Two Questions... David Burren 14 Dec 04:46
   Two Questions... Pat Suwalski 14 Dec 05:25
Pat Suwalski
2002-12-14 04:11:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Two Questions...

Hello,

I've been using GIMP for a while now, and I'm starting to liken to the 1.3.x line.

I have two questions that people here may be capable of answering:

1) When will 1.3 be put into stable? 2) Has anyone ever considered making GIMP into a single-window interface with MDI and children windows? An annoyance of GIMP is how it takes so many windows and shows up in the task list when alt-tabbing.

Thanks in advance!

--Pat

David Burren
2002-12-14 04:46:52 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Two Questions...

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:11:26 CDT, Pat Suwalski wrote:

2) Has anyone ever considered making GIMP into a single-window interface with MDI and children windows? An annoyance of GIMP is how it takes so many windows and shows up in the task list when alt-tabbing.

This is where you'd get into religious bunfights if you took away the current interface. If a single-window interface was available, it should be selectable. The multi-window interface is one of the things I love about the Gimp. I already have a window manager running which can take care of them, so why not use it?

I'm one of those people who use virtual workspaces (10 of them in fact). I often have Gimp windows clustered in one workspace, but it's useful to have Gimp windows pop up in other workspaces and in fact sometimes I have Gimp windows appearing in multiple workspaces.

When you talk about each window "show[ing] up in the task list when alt-tabbing", that would be a function of your window manager (or are you running under "Windows"?). You may be able to configure your WM to be more helpful (e.g. by dropping some window names from the list).

BTW, my comments are based on experience with 1.2.x - can't comment on 1.3.

Cheers __
DavidB

Pat Suwalski
2002-12-14 05:25:53 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Two Questions...

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, David Burren wrote:

This is where you'd get into religious bunfights if you took away the current interface. If a single-window interface was available, it should be selectable. The multi-window interface is one of the things I love about the Gimp. I already have a window manager running which can take care of them, so why not use it?

Because it's cleaner and more uniform throughout (and from computer to computer, window manager to window manager) to let he program handle it. And yes, I can't imagine it would be hard to make selectable. But for a PhotoPaint poweruser, who is used to a much better UI than even PhotoShop because of the way it handles its MDI interface, it should be considered. PhotoShop doesn't do MDI/toolbar usage justice. PhotoPaint does.

The other point regarding this is that desktop managers are becoming ever more popular on UNIX. The icons seeping through between my dialogs is quite distracting. A solid gray is preferable.

I'm one of those people who use virtual workspaces (10 of them in fact). I often have Gimp windows clustered in one workspace, but it's useful to have Gimp windows pop up in other workspaces and in fact sometimes I have Gimp windows appearing in multiple workspaces.

This is just fine. I have used Gimp on its own desktop, and it was better. Again, I don't like the fact that alt-tab would select the individual windows (I know, wm); I think it would be great if it could be made so that the GIMP "mother-window" would take care of its children for me. :)

When you talk about each window "show[ing] up in the task list when alt-tabbing", that would be a function of your window manager (or are you running under "Windows"?). You may be able to configure your WM to be more helpful (e.g. by dropping some window names from the list).

No, no, this is Gnome2 with Metacity. As I was typing that last eMail, I did consider that possibility of hiding windows. This would work great with some wm's, but Metacity doesn't do that (to the best of my knowledge). Again, going back to the uniform design concept, this would ideally be controlled by the gimp, and not the window manager.

Note how both PhotoShop and PhotoPaint have their own dock design with smaller title bars and custom roll-up buttons, not relying on Windows' (lacking) window manager.

BTW, my comments are based on experience with 1.2.x - can't comment on 1.3.

In terms of window handling, 1.3 is the same as 1.2. I was kind of hoping this would change somewhere along the way.

--Pat

Thomas Lund
2002-12-14 18:01:32 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Two Questions...

I'm really mad now, it's fucking impossible to get of this mailing list. I have recieved this unsubscribe mail, and I have confirmed it. Still I get mail from this list.

Get me off, or I'm going to spam you like you spam me..

thomas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Suwalski"
To: "David Burren"
Cc:
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 5:25 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Two Questions...

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, David Burren wrote:

Because it's cleaner and more uniform throughout (and from computer to computer, window manager to window manager) to let he program handle it. And yes, I can't imagine it would be hard to make selectable. But for a PhotoPaint poweruser, who is used to a much better UI than even PhotoShop because of the way it handles its MDI interface, it should be considered. PhotoShop doesn't do MDI/toolbar usage justice. PhotoPaint does.

The other point regarding this is that desktop managers are becoming ever more popular on UNIX. The icons seeping through between my dialogs is quite distracting. A solid gray is preferable.

This is just fine. I have used Gimp on its own desktop, and it was better. Again, I don't like the fact that alt-tab would select the individual windows (I know, wm); I think it would be great if it could be made so that the GIMP "mother-window" would take care of its children for me. :)

No, no, this is Gnome2 with Metacity. As I was typing that last eMail, I did consider that possibility of hiding windows. This would work great with some wm's, but Metacity doesn't do that (to the best of my knowledge). Again, going back to the uniform design concept, this would ideally be controlled by the gimp, and not the window manager.

Note how both PhotoShop and PhotoPaint have their own dock design with smaller title bars and custom roll-up buttons, not relying on Windows' (lacking) window manager.

BTW, my comments are based on experience with 1.2.x - can't comment on

In terms of window handling, 1.3 is the same as 1.2. I was kind of hoping this would change somewhere along the way.

--Pat

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-12-14 19:32:33 UTC (over 21 years ago)

About subscriptions (Was: Re: Two Questions...)

cannon@online.no (2002-12-14 at 1801.32 +0100):

I'm really mad now, it's fucking impossible to get of this mailing list. I have recieved this unsubscribe mail, and I have confirmed it. Still I get mail from this list.

Get me off, or I'm going to spam you like you spam me..

You should mail gimp-user-owner@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu (or manish@xcf) and tell him the problems you have.

GSR