RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20021210200005.83CCB10199@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5 Ariel Kass 10 Dec 22:04
   info on PNG and MNG files Carol Spears 11 Dec 06:35
   Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5 Jakub Steiner 11 Dec 14:20
   Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5 Jakub Steiner 14 Dec 03:45
20021212191514.8ADB1FFA3@li... 07 Oct 20:15
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 7 Ariel Kass 12 Dec 21:54
Ariel Kass
2002-12-10 22:04:46 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi all,

I'd like to know where i can get good info about using GIMP for creating PNG and MNG files. I've searched a bit and only got to sites with general info about the 2 formats but no practical uses and examples...

I'd also like to comment that for some reason in my windows version of GIMP I cannot save a file in GIF format - is this how it is supposed to be??

Ty for your time,

Ariel Kass

___

Carol Spears
2002-12-11 06:35:42 UTC (over 21 years ago)

info on PNG and MNG files

On 2002-12-10 at 1304.46 -0800, Ariel Kass typed this:

Hi all,

I'd like to know where i can get good info about using GIMP for creating PNG and MNG files. I've searched a bit and only got to sites with general info about the 2 formats but no practical uses and examples...

i have an example of a transparent png on the front page of my webpage: http://carol.gimp.org (lewing drew it ;))

i am developing a web site where the *bigwigs* said "only png" and this is what i have learned to do with them:

photo or complex image: RGBA, which means make sure it is one layer with an alpha channel (Layers-->Add Alpha Channel) then (for web use) pick the best color possible in the background color of the gimp toolbox (crappy browsers need something thoughtful there). then save with the "Save background color" option and the other defaults.

screenshot or logo: INDEXED, one layer this time use Layers-->Flatten Image and then Mode-->Indexed. now when you save, don't save the background color.

i don't know about mng, sorry.

I'd also like to comment that for some reason in my windows version of GIMP I cannot save a file in GIF format - is this how it is supposed to be??

there are some issues and so that is available separately from here: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

i was wondering if you could strip the digest stuff from the Subject line. these emails are archived. if the subject of this had contained something like "windows gimp can't save gifs" then someone searching the archives for such an answer might find their answer also ;)

good luck with the pngs. gifs are terrible. for so many reasons.

carol

Jakub Steiner
2002-12-11 14:20:44 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Út, 2002-12-10 at 22:04, Ariel Kass wrote:

Hi all,

To my best knowledge GIMP doesn't handle MNG yet. You can use Imagemagick to create them. Create PNGs from your animation (with larger animations you may want to use 'split image to frames' from GAP). Once you're done, you can do `convert -delay XX *.png anim.mng`.

However I noticed slight problems with RGBA animations, the transparent areas wouldn't redraw. Perhaps there is a frame disposal method I missed.

I also overheard someone hacking on a GIMP MNG plugin using libmng, but I don't know any details.

Ariel Kass
2002-12-12 21:54:06 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 3, Issue 7

Hi all again,

As you've probably all guessed i am working on animated pictures on the web. i am currently trying to understand PNG and MNG (tutorials any one?).

But I have had success with GIFs. now these files aren't the best thing to work with but at the time being it shall do...

my question of the day is: how can i automate a number of actions/operations in GIMP? I have been working in a method that is taking FOREVER and all i'm doing is taking a black-and-white graph of a function, converting the colors, putting the result as a layer mask on a colorful layer and finally merging all the visible layers into one.

any ideas??

one idea my associate and i thought of was trying to get the ASCII part of the gimp file that describes a certain file's properties. this was nice in thoery but not apllicable (binary file).

hope to hear from you all soon,

Ariel Kass

___

Jakub Steiner
2002-12-14 03:45:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Út, 2002-12-10 at 22:04, Ariel Kass wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to know where i can get good info about using GIMP for creating PNG and MNG files. I've searched a

If you are brave enough, you can test the highly experimental code at http://www.mukund.org/gimp/mng/. Courtesy of S. Mukund .

enjoy