RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Threshold Crop Plug-in

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Threshold Crop Plug-in Kevin Myers 14 Oct 17:23
Kevin Myers
2002-10-14 17:23:58 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Threshold Crop Plug-in

Hello,

I would like to develop (or preferably locate) a tool somewhat similar to the default gimp autocrop, but with this difference: It would allow you to specify a threshold range in some manner for the border that is to be cropped. If it handles RGB that would be fine, but in my case all that I really care about is grayscale.

I've searched the gimp registry and didn't see anything similar, so I'm considering writing one of my own by using the existing autocrop plug-in as a starting point. I've done some preliminary looking at the code and have written pseudo-code for the primary changes that would be needed. However, I can't seem to locate any docs on what you actually need in order to compile a plug-in...

In autocrop libgimp is the only external library that is used, and I don't think that I need anything else either, at least for a simple initial version with hardcoded threshold values and no user interface.

I would think that I can easily locate and download the header file(s) for libgimp. But I'm an inexperienced C developer, and don't know what else if anything that I may need. I will be mucking with tiff files, but since gimp itself will be doing all of the actual file interaction, I don't think that I should need libtiff or anything like that, right? Also, I don't need the libgimp source other than the header files, do I?

Finally, I will be doing my work under Windows. I have several compilers available, including a couple of versions of Microsoft Visual C++. I don't want my plug-in to be dependent on Cygwin libraries or anything like that, so I don't plan to use Cygwin for this development. By default (because I don't know any better) I was planning to MSVC++ 6.0 to write and compile the plug-in. Will this work? Are there any other tools that I am likely to need in order to develop this extremely simple plug-in?

After compiling, I believe that all I should need to do to run the plug-in is to locate it in the proper gimp subdirectory on my machine, right?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Kevin M. Round Rock, Texas