RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Eraser tool for a specific colour?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Eraser tool for a specific colour? Karl Auer 06 Jul 11:24
Eraser tool for a specific colour? nigel 06 Jul 11:51
kauer@biplane.com.au 07 Oct 20:15
  Eraser tool for a specific colour? Jeff Trefftzs 06 Jul 23:30
Karl Auer
2002-07-06 11:24:54 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi there.

Is there an eraser tool that will erase only a specific colour? That is, that will selectively erase only those points it passes over that are of a particular color. For example, you have an image with a line on it that you don't want. You use the dropper to pick up some of the line colour, then tell the eraser to erase only that colour.

Similarly (and related to my previous question about filling outlines on transparent layers) is there a cousin to the fill tool that selects a region based on colour? Just as the fill tool works out towards a colour boundary and then fills inside the boundary, so this tool would work out to a colour boundary and then select the area within it.

Other (much more primitive) "paint" programs have such tools, but I haven't located them in the GIMP.

As I use the GIMP more and more, it is becoming clear to me that some simple things have very complicated solutions - apparently the price to pay for having very simple solutions to complicated things :-)

Regards, K.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)

nigel
2002-07-06 11:51:35 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Gimp does not have a colour eraser "tool". It does have a colour to alpha plugin though. By default the plugin will remove the selected colour from the whole image. To constrain this you will need to make a selection befor running the plugin.

Nigel

Karl Auer wrote:

Hi there.

Is there an eraser tool that will erase only a specific colour? That is, that will selectively erase only those points it passes over that are of a particular color. For example, you have an image with a line on it that you don't want. You use the dropper to pick up some of the line colour, then tell the eraser to erase only that colour.

Similarly (and related to my previous question about filling outlines on transparent layers) is there a cousin to the fill tool that selects a region based on colour? Just as the fill tool works out towards a colour boundary and then fills inside the boundary, so this tool would work out to a colour boundary and then select the area within it.

Other (much more primitive) "paint" programs have such tools, but I haven't located them in the GIMP.

As I use the GIMP more and more, it is becoming clear to me that some simple things have very complicated solutions - apparently the price to pay for having very simple solutions to complicated things :-)

Regards, K.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)

Jeff Trefftzs
2002-07-06 23:30:05 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Karl Auer schreib -

/Select/Select by color

or try the Fuzzy Selection (AKA Magic Wand tool)