RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp script-fu scripts at the command line

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP, Linux, and tablets (newbie questions) Dante 27 May 17:45
  GIMP, Linux, and tablets (newbie questions) Sam Jones 27 May 18:12
   GIMP, Linux, and tablets (newbie questions) Akkana 01 Jun 07:42
  GIMP, Linux, and tablets (newbie questions) Olle Viksten 27 May 18:49
gimp script-fu scripts at the command line Geoffrey 01 Aug 13:59
Dante
2002-05-27 17:45:29 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

GIMP, Linux, and tablets (newbie questions)

Hi.

I'm going to buy my first graphical tablet - for amateur usage (just for fun, I like drawing :-). Which tablets would be good ? Any advices ? I'm total newbie in this area.

- it MUST work under Linux, in GIMP of course - it should be relatively cheap (I don't have too much cash) - I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

Which models are best compromises between quality and price ? What about Wacom and Pentagram tablets ? I'd be very grateful for advices.

Dante

Sam Jones
2002-05-27 18:12:49 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I've got a USB Wacom Intuos, and I am really keen on it. The Graphire costs and has a smaller writing area than most Intuos pads. The Graphire also lacks a couple features of the Intuos, but Linux drivers don't support those features perfectly.

I only have a USB tablet. Configuration was a bit tough. I think serial tablets have more stable drivers. I prefer USB, but serial would have been less work.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about other brands. Gimp reads the information from the tablets through an X API called XInput. I think this means that any tablet that sends information to XInput should have the basic features (stylus/eraser detection, pressure sensitivity) in Gimp.

But I encourage you to try. Using tablets in Gimp is wicked fun.

Olle Viksten
2002-05-27 18:49:13 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

måndagen den 27 maj 2002 17.45 wrote Dante:

Hi.

I'm going to buy my first graphical tablet - for amateur usage (just for fun, I like drawing :-). Which tablets would be good ? Any advices ? I'm total newbie in this area.

- it MUST work under Linux, in GIMP of course - it should be relatively cheap (I don't have too much cash) - I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

Which models are best compromises between quality and price ? What about Wacom and Pentagram tablets ? I'd be very grateful for advices.

As far as I know the Wacom tablets are the only ones suported in Linux. I have an old serial Wacom tablet that works just fine with Gimp.

Olle Viksten

Akkana
2002-06-01 07:42:20 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Dante writes:

I'm going to buy my first graphical tablet - for amateur usage (just for fun, I like drawing :-). Which tablets would be good ? Any advices ?

Sam Jones writes:

I only have a USB tablet. Configuration was a bit tough. I think serial tablets have more stable drivers. I prefer USB, but serial would have been less work.

I have a new USB Graphire 2 (the small cheap Wacom) and spent the last couple weeks struggling to get it working; tonight I think I finally have it.

Here's the key: http://www.blankslate.net/comp/wacom.php

You'll find lots of other howtos on using wacoms, but the others are all way out of date and won't help if you have a recent distro or kernel; this one also lists the kernel configuration options you need (which turned out to be part of my problem).

He mentions that he uses the devices in Screen mode, not Window mode: that turns out to be mandatory. Gimp 1.2.3 crashes if you put any of the three devices in screen mode (followups on that to gimp-developer).

...Akkana

Geoffrey
2002-08-01 13:59:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

gimp script-fu scripts at the command line

I've found that I'd like to iterate the bevel script-fu option in gimp a couple of times on a number of images. Obviously a bit tedious within the gimp. I've located the add-bevel.scm code and was wondering how I might run this against my images on the command line? Can someone fill in the missing parts? That is, what do I execute it with (?????) and how do I pass the options to it (option1....optionN)?

for fn in *.jpg;do ????? add-bevel-scm option1....optionN $fn new-$fn done

Thanks.