RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP for annotation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP for annotation Kraemer,Steven [Edm] 12 Jun 16:34
  GIMP for annotation John R. Culleton 12 Jun 19:46
  GIMP for annotation Sven Neumann 13 Jun 09:37
mailman.1.1181674802.25748.... 07 Oct 20:18
  GIMP for annotation Michael Foster 13 Jun 02:06
  GIMP for annotation Kraemer,Steven [Edm] 13 Jun 17:12
Kraemer,Steven [Edm]
2007-06-12 16:34:44 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

GIMP for annotation

Hello,

I am looking for annotation software (that will run on Red Hat 9) to be used in a classroom setting. Is anyone is using GIMP for this purpose? Is it possible to run GIMP as a transparent overlay for the purpose of annotating content displayed in underlying windows?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven Kraemer

John R. Culleton
2007-06-12 19:46:25 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

GIMP for annotation

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 10:34, Kraemer,Steven [Edm] wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for annotation software (that will run on Red Hat 9) to be used in a classroom setting. Is anyone is using GIMP for this purpose? Is it possible to run GIMP as a transparent overlay for the purpose of annotating content displayed in underlying windows?

Thanks,

Steven Kraemer

Can you flesh out the requirement a bit? Is this for screen display, slides or paper copies? Most publishing programs will allow one pdf or whatever as the background for a page and another overlaying it with text. Context (part of TeX) does this for example. And I am also sure I can do it in Scribus. You can of course do it in Gimp but each combined page would be a separate entity. And text would be converted to bitmaps.

As the Vermont farmer said, "If I was goin' to Montpelier I sure wouldn't start from here." I would look at other tools for this particular job.

Michael Foster
2007-06-13 02:06:47 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

GIMP for annotation

Hello Steven,

If you're talking about creating a new image with your text overlaid you probably should look at imagemagick. It gives you lots of control and is great in scripts if you're doing bulk operations. An extensive set of examples of how to use it do this can be found here: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/annotating/

Mike

Hello,

Sven Neumann
2007-06-13 09:37:04 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

GIMP for annotation

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 08:34 -0600, Kraemer,Steven [Edm] wrote:

You may be looking for something like http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gromit/

Sven

Kraemer,Steven [Edm]
2007-06-13 17:12:42 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

GIMP for annotation

Hi John,

Our insructors would like to anotate applications and weather imagery in real time with a Wacom tablet. The annotations would appear on a projection screen behind the instructor for the students to see.

The Gromit application listed in today's GIMP-user mail looks like it can perform this function.
http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gromit/

If you have another application in mind please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Steven Kraemer

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-bounces@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU [mailto:gimp-user-bounces@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU] On Behalf Of gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:00 PM To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 57, Issue 17

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:46:25 -0400 From: "John R. Culleton"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP for annotation To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 10:34, Kraemer,Steven [Edm] wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Steven Kraemer

Can you flesh out the requirement a bit? Is this for screen display, slides or paper copies? Most publishing programs will allow one pdf or whatever as the background for a page and another overlaying it with text. Context (part of TeX) does this for example. And I am also sure I can do it in Scribus. You can of course do it in Gimp but each combined page would be a separate entity. And text would be converted to bitmaps.

As the Vermont farmer said, "If I was goin' to Montpelier I sure wouldn't start from here." I would look at other tools for this particular job.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Precision typesetting (tm) at reasonable cost. Satisfaction guaranteed.
http://wexfordpress.com

------------------------------