RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? DJ 02 Jun 02:55
  Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 03:46
   Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? DJ 02 Jun 04:26
    Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 05:45
     Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? David Gowers 02 Jun 07:49
      Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 15:24
       Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? David Gowers 02 Jun 16:19
        Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 17:01
         Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Chris Mohler 02 Jun 17:24
          Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 17:32
           Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Manish Singh 02 Jun 18:47
            Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 21:05
        Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it? Patrick Shanahan 02 Jun 17:04
DJ
2007-06-02 02:55:50 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Another GIMPTOOL question: If it's not in the GIMP development libraries, where is it?

Hi Gimp-user,

I've run across a couple of plug-in's I've wanted to try, but compiling them was something I didn't want to tackle, until now. I thought I'd give it a try, at least once :-)

Resynthesizer http://logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer

Another one I wanted to try:

Refocus http://refocus.sourceforge.net/

I did installed via the very slow YAST the GIMP development library and gtk needed library. All 2.2.13. I know 2.2.15 is available but there isn't an rpm for SuSE 10.1, at least that I found. :-)

When I type "make" per the README, it is looking for gimptool. I saw on the list some previous reference to gimptool. I thought by installing the GIMP development library I'd have it, but indeed, I do not have a gimptool installed. I didn't see it at rpmfind either.

What step am I missing?

I've always wonder with Linux, do users have multiple machines (Virtual maybe? Boot Partitions?), one for development, and one for production, or do they have development libraries on their productive machines? We were always told not to mix the two. HHHmmm, perhaps a topic for another list.

Thank you.

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 03:46:17 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* DJ [06-01-07 20:56]:

When I type "make" per the README, it is looking for gimptool. I saw on the list some previous reference to gimptool. I thought by installing the GIMP development library I'd have it, but indeed, I do not have a gimptool installed. I didn't see it at rpmfind either.

What step am I missing?

also openSUSE 10.1 x86_64

21:43 wahoo:~ > rpm -qf /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool-2.0 gimp-2.2.14-1.guru.suse101

btw, did you get greystoration to work and, if so, how?

DJ
2007-06-02 04:26:59 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Patrick,

PS> also openSUSE 10.1 x86_64

21:43 wahoo:~ >> rpm -qf /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool-2.0 PS> gimp-2.2.14-1.guru.suse101

Amazing how that works when you have the right name :-) I was looking for gimptool, as well, as the Makefile. I changed the Makefile to look for gimptool-2.0 and all compiled. Now I have to try it :-)

PS> btw, did you get greystoration to work and, if so, how?

I downloaded the "official and supported" one from: http://registry.gimp.org/list?name=GREYCstoration http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=9304

The README.txt said to copy a file, "GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux" to GIMP's plug-ins directory. Tried it on a couple of images and it appears to be working.

Thank you.

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 05:45:58 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* DJ [06-01-07 22:29]:

I downloaded the "official and supported" one from: http://registry.gimp.org/list?name=GREYCstoration http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=9304

Yes, that is what I have done.

The README.txt said to copy a file, "GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux" to GIMP's plug-ins directory. Tried it on a couple of images and it appears to be working.

That too, but I do not have access to the plugin :^(

23:40 wahoo:~ > ls -la ~/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins/ total 144
drwxr-xr-x 2 pat users 4096 2007-06-01 23:43 . drwxr-xr-x 21 pat users 4096 2007-06-01 23:44 .. -rwxr-xr-x 1 pat users 131008 2007-03-30 10:36 GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux

David Gowers
2007-06-02 07:49:11 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Patrick,

On 6/2/07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

The README.txt said to copy a file, "GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux" to GIMP's plug-ins directory. Tried it on a couple of images and it

appears

to be working.

That too, but I do not have access to the plugin :^(

23:40 wahoo:~ > ls -la ~/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins/ total 144
drwxr-xr-x 2 pat users 4096 2007-06-01 23:43 . drwxr-xr-x 21 pat users 4096 2007-06-01 23:44 .. -rwxr-xr-x 1 pat users 131008 2007-03-30 10:36 GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux

This has happened to me when the plugin tries to startup but crashes. You should be able to notice this if you run gimp from a terminal emulator -- IIRC it tends to produce a 'broken pipe' message.

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 15:24:25 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* David Gowers [06-02-07 01:51]:

This has happened to me when the plugin tries to startup but crashes. You should be able to notice this if you run gimp from a terminal emulator -- IIRC it tends to produce a 'broken pipe' message.

Will not make a difference or display anything interesting for me as my gimp does not see the plug-in to start with.

ps: Please do not send HTML to the list. Email is a text function. Thanks for your consideration.

David Gowers
2007-06-02 16:19:25 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Will not make a difference or display anything interesting for me as my gimp does not see the plug-in to start with.

Are you saying that because you've actually tried it? There is no other easy way to discern whether 'your gimp sees the plug-in to start with'.
That's rather simple then, if so. Most likely it isn't looking at that directory at all - have you checked that that folder is pointed to by the preferences?

ps: Please do not send HTML to the list. Email is a text function. Thanks for your consideration.

AFAICS, I'm not sending email in HTML - I certainly agree that email is a text function. Nor has it been said to me before that I was sending email in HTML.

Is this message any different in this regard?

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 17:01:21 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* David Gowers [06-02-07 10:22]:

Are you saying that because you've actually tried it? There is no other easy way to discern whether 'your gimp sees the plug-in to start with'.

No, no need. It doesn't appear in Filters -> Enhance as it should and does not appear in the plug-in browser or tree. If I cannot start or initiate the plug-in some how, there will be no error message printer on the console.

That's rather simple then, if so. Most likely it isn't looking at that directory at all - have you checked that that folder is pointed to by the preferences?

That is what I have in my preferences.

AFAICS, I'm not sending email in HTML - I certainly agree that email is a text function. Nor has it been said to me before that I was sending email in HTML.

bounced your original post to your gmail addr, but gmail may not show it since it is from you, but if it doesn't appear, you may view it at: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/dg.txt

yes, no html :^)

tks,

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 17:04:25 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

btw, as far as I can see in my files, this is the first post you have made that is *not* html.

Chris Mohler
2007-06-02 17:24:31 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 6/2/07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

No, no need. It doesn't appear in Filters -> Enhance as it should and does not appear in the plug-in browser or tree. If I cannot start or initiate the plug-in some how, there will be no error message printer on the console.

I think you should try it - it may be failing to initialize for some reason, hence it's absence from the menu/tree.

Chris

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 17:32:20 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* Chris Mohler [06-02-07 11:26]:

I think you should try it - it may be failing to initialize for some reason, hence it's absence from the menu/tree.

I *stand* corrected.

I do get an error:

/home/pat/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins/GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux: error while loading s hared libraries: libgimpui-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but,

11:30 wahoo:~ > locate libgimpui-2.0.so.0 /opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0
/opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0.200.14

11:30 wahoo:~ > rpm -qf /opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0 gimp-2.2.14-1.guru.suse101

so why cannot gimp or GREYCstoration find "libgimpui-2.0.so.0"?

tks,

Manish Singh
2007-06-02 18:47:40 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 11:32:20AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Chris Mohler [06-02-07 11:26]:

I *stand* corrected.

I do get an error:

/home/pat/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins/GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux: error while loading s hared libraries: libgimpui-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but,

11:30 wahoo:~ > locate libgimpui-2.0.so.0 /opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0
/opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0.200.14

11:30 wahoo:~ > rpm -qf /opt/gnome/lib64/libgimpui-2.0.so.0 gimp-2.2.14-1.guru.suse101

so why cannot gimp or GREYCstoration find "libgimpui-2.0.so.0"?

Probably because GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux is a 32-bit binary and you have a 64-bit GIMP.

-Yosh

Patrick Shanahan
2007-06-02 21:05:20 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

* Manish Singh [06-02-07 12:48]:

Probably because GREYCstoration_gimp_pc_linux is a 32-bit binary and you have a 64-bit GIMP.

That be true.

I have build the 64bit version locally and it works. Thanks

ps: If anyone wants to try it, http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/greycstoration4gimp
built on openSUSE 10.1 x86_64 as 64bit.