RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2 fold

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2 fold retroeguy 12 Jul 02:14
  2 fold rich404 12 Jul 08:07
   2 fold retroeguy 13 Jul 05:28
2020-07-12 02:14:01 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

2 fold

when I open gimp and try to draw there is no line at all a tutorial that I'm following, when gimp is opened the configuration is different,does that matter...thanks

rich404
2020-07-12 08:07:26 UTC (almost 4 years ago)

2 fold

when I open gimp and try to draw there is no line at all a tutorial that I'm following, when gimp is opened the configuration is different,does that matter...thanks

Sometimes it matters, often needs a new way of working.

A lot of the tutorials around are based on Gimp 2.8, some even back to Gimp 2.6 and there are differences with Gimp 2.10

Which tutorial? A reference will get you more help. Comparing Gimp 2.10 with Gimp 2.8 some of the old filters have gone, Most converted to a new GEGL form where the filter acts directly on the canvas and a few completely new filters.

Generally, the old and the new forms are in the same menu structure only the occasional one moved. There is a search facility in Gimp 2.10, press the forward slash / key and enter a search term.

For the configuration, Everything is there just in different places. To save space tools have a drop down action, tools options a bit compressed. In their wisdom the developers use a black default theme with cryptic icons + many more tabs. All very confusing for a raw beginner. You will need to look for and identify the tools you require. Do not forget the menu structure, it is all in there somewhere. Both the black theme and symbolic icons can be changed to more visible types in the Edit -> Preferences section.

In the meantime see the screenshot for a comparison Gimp 2.8 / 2.10 It might help you identify the main parts of Gimp.

2020-07-13 05:28:06 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

2 fold

Sometimes it matters, often needs a new way of working.

A lot of the tutorials around are based on Gimp 2.8, some even back to Gimp 2.6 and there are differences with Gimp 2.10

Which tutorial? A reference will get you more help. Comparing Gimp 2.10 with Gimp 2.8 some of the old filters have gone, Most converted to a new GEGL form where the filter acts directly on the canvas and a few completely new filters.

Generally, the old and the new forms are in the same menu structure only the occasional one moved. There is a search facility in Gimp 2.10, press the forward slash / key and enter a search term.

For the configuration, Everything is there just in different places. To save space tools have a drop down action, tools options a bit compressed. In their wisdom the developers use a black default theme with cryptic icons + many more tabs. All very confusing for a raw beginner. You will need to look for and identify the tools you require. Do not forget the menu structure, it is all in there somewhere. Both the black theme and symbolic icons can be changed to more visible types in the Edit -> Preferences section.

In the meantime see the screenshot for a comparison Gimp 2.8 / 2.10 It might help you identify the main parts of Gimp.

thanks for the info,I figured out the line not showing part,but will use your suggestions I'm using the latest 2.10.20.