RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Stopping one layer darkening the one underneath

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Stopping one layer darkening the one underneath Kiredor 22 May 10:36
  Stopping one layer darkening the one underneath rich404 24 May 08:30
2020-05-22 10:36:26 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
contact

I'm sorry, just starting so this will seem very basic to most Gimp users!! I am laying a series of ever more opaque layers of the same image half on top of the layer beneath. So a series getting fainter moving across the screen. Where they overlap the image on the lower layer is darker - presumably the combination of the colours of both layers. How do I stop the top layer darkening the layer below?

2020-05-24 08:30:35 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
contact

I'm sorry, just starting so this will seem very basic to most Gimp users!!
I am laying a series of ever more opaque layers of the same image half on top of the layer beneath. So a series getting fainter moving across the screen. Where they overlap the image on the lower layer is darker - presumably the combination of the colours of both layers. How do I stop the top layer darkening the layer below?

Not basic at all. You have spread out overlapping layers with decreasing transparency as screenshot 1 While it is not impossible to hand-craft layers with variable transparency and layer masks, that is very time consuming and not always a guarenteed / good result.

My suggestion, try the old pandora script from https://www.shallowsky.com/software/pandora/ the script pandora-combine-0.9.3.scm goes in your Gimp user profile scripts folder which for Windows users is C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts.

Then add the left to right transparency in a layer mask after using the script: screenshot 2

....and a 2 minute video demonstration https://youtu.be/fdnYi11jpBw