RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Resizing an image in Gimp is very slow.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Resizing an image in Gimp is very slow. CharlesJ-J 14 Feb 17:35
  Resizing an image in Gimp is very slow. BWK 21 Apr 22:09
2020-02-14 17:35:06 UTC (about 4 years ago)
postings

I use Gimp 2.10.14, & my tile cache size is 6GB. I don't understand where the memory usage in the status bar is found, but I have my dashboard up in toolbox and memory is not used up when the slow processing occurs. The image was 11 layers of 623 GB. But I FLATTENED it, to 58.8GB, & then deleted my undo history. When I resized it to 1800px's longest size, the progress bar works 2/3 of the way and then stops and then takes 4 minutes or more, at least, to resize. The dashboard shows no excessive use. I found this problem started when I upgraded to Gimp 2.10.14. Any one any ideas.?

CharlesJ-J (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2020-04-21 22:09:51 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

I use Gimp 2.10.14, & my tile cache size is 6GB. I don't understand where the
memory usage in the status bar is found, but I have my dashboard up in toolbox
and memory is not used up when the slow processing occurs. The image was 11
layers of 623 GB. But I FLATTENED it, to 58.8GB, & then deleted my undo history.
When I resized it to 1800px's longest size, the progress bar works 2/3 of the
way and then stops and then takes 4 minutes or more, at least, to resize. The
dashboard shows no excessive use. I found this problem started when I upgraded
to Gimp 2.10.14. Any one any ideas.?

Big operations take time. Go and make a coffee. I have 32 GB of RAM and a 200 GB tile cache in SSD. Sometimes the operation takes 5-10 minutes, which is hardly anything. It might take 2 hours to save as well, but I can do something else during that time.

BWK (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)