RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs ottenm 02 Feb 20:04
  apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs Ofnuts 03 Feb 00:07
2020-02-02 20:04:12 UTC (about 4 years ago)
postings

I've tried about 15 solutions that describe applying a gradient to text, and can't figure out how to include the tiny alpha'ed outlines around the letters. The results look great, but not impeccable.

I start with black text and I've tried selecting it with layer -> transparency -> alpha-to-selection AND with select by color, but when you zoom, you can see some of the pixel borders are left out of the selection. I can get those borders included by increasing the threshold on select-by-color, but when I apply the gradient it doesn't preserve the alpha values and ends using a solid color (worse/blockey result).

Any tips are welcome!

ottenm (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Ofnuts
2020-02-03 00:07:54 UTC (about 4 years ago)

On 2/2/20 9:04 PM, ottenm wrote:

I've tried about 15 solutions that describe applying a gradient to text, and can't figure out how to include the tiny alpha'ed outlines around the letters. The results look great, but not impeccable.

I start with black text and I've tried selecting it with layer -> transparency -> alpha-to-selection AND with select by color, but when you zoom, you can see some of the pixel borders are left out of the selection. I can get those borders included by increasing the threshold on select-by-color, but when I apply the gradient it doesn't preserve the alpha values and ends using a solid color (worse/blockey result).

Any tips are welcome!

This is exactly what the alpha-lock is for. Set the alpha-lock on the layer, and apply the gradient on the whole layer (without any selection). The alpha-lock will take care of the pixels on the edges.

Alpha-lock is documented here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog-lock-alpha-button