RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

overlay image in Gimp 2.8.16 ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

overlay image in Gimp 2.8.16 ? Dave Stevens 16 Jan 20:14
  overlay image in Gimp 2.8.16 ? Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list 16 Jan 21:23
Dave Stevens
2020-01-16 20:14:34 UTC (over 4 years ago)

I routinely use the gimp for simple things and now want to use it to add an image (image 2) to a background. I have modified the new image so that its background is transparent. I have saved it as both a jpg and .xcf. I have an existing .jpg image that I want to use as the base layer with image2 on top. I see conceptually how to do this but am basically lost in the layers dialogs.

I want to add image2 to the existing image then export the merged image as a jpg. The online tutorials I've been able to find are either outdated or apply to some other platform/version.

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3. Will rtfm if pointed to one or a tutorial would be useful too.

TIA

Dave

Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
2020-01-16 21:23:10 UTC (over 4 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:16 AM Dave Stevens wrote:

I routinely use the gimp for simple things and now want to use it to add an image (image 2) to a background. I have modified the new image so that its background is transparent. I have saved it as both a jpg and .xcf. I have an existing .jpg image that I want to use as the base layer with image2 on top. I see conceptually how to do this but am basically lost in the layers dialogs.

I want to add image2 to the existing image then export the merged image as a jpg. The online tutorials I've been able to find are either outdated or apply to some other platform/version.

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3. Will rtfm if pointed to one or a tutorial would be useful too.

Hi Dave,

I feel a little lost in the description of what you are trying to achieve, but the general principle is:

1. Open your background layer. 2. 'File > Open as Layer' for the image that will be on top. 3. 'File > Export As' to export to JPG.

If, for some reason, your background layer ends up on the very top, drag it towards the bottom or use the button that is shaped like an arrow pointing down.

Alex