RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Stylus Button Actions Not Working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Stylus Button Actions Not Working xlow 26 Dec 03:59
  Stylus Button Actions Not Working dep 26 Dec 15:39
   Stylus Button Actions Not Working xlow 26 Dec 16:03
  Stylus Button Actions Not Working Michael Schumacher 26 Dec 16:30
   Stylus Button Actions Not Working xlow 27 Dec 03:32
2019-12-26 03:59:04 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Preface: Using a windows 10 machine.

I got a VEIKK A30 drawing tablet for Christmas and instantly got GIMP to try and draw stuff. I set up the tablet through the input devices and it seems to work fine. I also downloaded the drivers for the tablet in order to change what the buttons on the stylus do.

I tried changing the buttons using the driver software, but they still do the same thing in GIMP. The bottom button, closest to the nib, opens up the same window as when I right click with a mouse. The top button, farthest from the nib, allows me to move the page around and zoom in/out sometimes, I'm not really sure how the program determines which it does. I've tried changing both button actions and neither seem to change. I've checked online and the stylus does input the correct key combinations on online key checkers.

I've researched this a bit and have found one or two posts (multiple years old and not for my tablet) which seem to just say reinstall the drivers or make sure the the tablet is set up in the input devices window. I have reinstalled my driver and reinstalled GIMP. My Tablet seems to be properly set up in the input devices since it not only recognized it and it's buttons, it also recognizes the pressure applied.

All help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

xlow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
dep
2019-12-26 15:39:26 UTC (over 4 years ago)

said xlow:

| Preface: Using a windows 10 machine. |
| I got a VEIKK A30 drawing tablet for Christmas and instantly got GIMP to | try and draw stuff. I set up the tablet through the input devices and it | seems to work fine. I also downloaded the drivers for the tablet in | order to change what the buttons on the stylus do.

Part of the issue here, maybe, is that GIMP isn't really a drawing/painting program. It's more an image-editing program. Think Photoshop, not Corel Draw. There are some drawing aspects to GIMP, but they're more in service of the original purpose of the program.

| I tried changing the buttons using the driver software, but they still | do the same thing in GIMP. The bottom button, closest to the nib, opens | up the same window as when I right click with a mouse. The top button, | farthest from the nib, allows me to move the page around and zoom in/out | sometimes, I'm not really sure how the program determines which it does. | I've tried changing both button actions and neither seem to change. I've | checked online and the stylus does input the correct key combinations on | online key checkers.

Do you have an actual drawing or painting program? I know Microsoft used to bundle some kind of paint program (I used OS/2 before switching to Linux 22 years ago, so I'm not up to date on Win stuff). Anyway, first diagnostic would be to see if your changes work in other programs. If they don't, than it's not a GIMP-specific problem.

That would, seems to me, be something you'd want to try right off the bat.

dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
2019-12-26 16:03:29 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

said xlow:

| Preface: Using a windows 10 machine. |
| I got a VEIKK A30 drawing tablet for Christmas and instantly got GIMP to
| try and draw stuff. I set up the tablet through the input devices and it
| seems to work fine. I also downloaded the drivers for the tablet in | order to change what the buttons on the stylus do.

Part of the issue here, maybe, is that GIMP isn't really a drawing/painting
program. It's more an image-editing program. Think Photoshop, not Corel
Draw. There are some drawing aspects to GIMP, but they're more in service
of the original purpose of the program.

| I tried changing the buttons using the driver software, but they still
| do the same thing in GIMP. The bottom button, closest to the nib, opens
| up the same window as when I right click with a mouse. The top button,
| farthest from the nib, allows me to move the page around and zoom in/out
| sometimes, I'm not really sure how the program determines which it does.
| I've tried changing both button actions and neither seem to change. I've
| checked online and the stylus does input the correct key combinations on
| online key checkers.

Do you have an actual drawing or painting program? I know Microsoft used to
bundle some kind of paint program (I used OS/2 before switching to Linux
22 years ago, so I'm not up to date on Win stuff). Anyway, first diagnostic would be to see if your changes work in other programs. If they
don't, than it's not a GIMP-specific problem.

That would, seems to me, be something you'd want to try right off the bat.

Thank you for replying. I have tested this out in both Microsoft paint and in Krita. The changes work perfectly fine there. So far it is only GIMP that is having this problem. While trying to figure out the problem more I have noticed that the button actions on the stylus work fine in GIMP if I haven't activated my stylus in the input devices menu. The problem is it doesn't recognize my stylus as an input unless I activate it, I.E. it doesn't recognize me touching my stylus to the tablet as a left click. My current hypothesis, though I admit I am very ignorant to how GIMP works, is that when I activate my stylus in the input devices menu it overrides my stylus buttons actions that the driver sets with its own actions that it assigns to those buttons.

Michael Schumacher
2019-12-26 16:30:49 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Am 26.12.19 um 04:59 schrieb xlow:

Preface: Using a windows 10 machine.

I got a VEIKK A30 drawing tablet for Christmas and instantly got GIMP to try and draw stuff. I set up the tablet through the input devices and it seems to work fine. I also downloaded the drivers for the tablet in order to change what the buttons on the stylus do.

This is due to that: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/264

So unless support for reading what the buttons are supposed to do is added to the framework we use to access tablets, this won't change.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

2019-12-27 03:32:24 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Am 26.12.19 um 04:59 schrieb xlow: This is due to that: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/264

So unless support for reading what the buttons are supposed to do is added to the framework we use to access tablets, this won't change.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

Thank you for replying. Just confirming, unless a major change happens within the framework of GIMP, there is no solution to this problem?