RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Disable check for new plugins at startup

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Disable check for new plugins at startup Bantha 11 Dec 14:00
  Disable check for new plugins at startup Øyvind Kolås 12 Dec 01:08
   Disable check for new plugins at startup Ofnuts 12 Dec 23:43
2019-12-11 14:00:31 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Hello,

we want to run GIMP in an isolated environment, without access to external systems. So, when GIMP checks for newer versions of the installed modules and plugins, it takes several minutes to wait for the timeout-

Can I Speed up the startup in any way? GIMP won't be able to check anything outside of our company LAN.

Kind regards, Uwe

Bantha (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Øyvind Kolås
2019-12-12 01:08:48 UTC (over 4 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:00 PM Bantha wrote:

we want to run GIMP in an isolated environment, without access to external systems. So, when GIMP checks for newer versions of the installed modules and plugins, it takes several minutes to wait for the timeout-

Can I Speed up the startup in any way? GIMP won't be able to check anything outside of our company LAN.

GIMP is not going online looking for new versions of plug-ins, it is scanning the file system(s) for previously unknown plug-ins, in user and system paths. One reason this might be slow is if GIMP is installed on a slow network file system.

Ofnuts
2019-12-12 23:43:37 UTC (over 4 years ago)

On 12/12/19 2:08 AM, yvind Kols wrote:

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:00 PM Bantha wrote:

GIMP is not going online looking for new versions of plug-ins, it is scanning the file system(s) for previously unknown plug-ins, in user and system paths. One reason this might be slow is if GIMP is installed on a slow network file system. _______________________________________________

AFAIK is doesn't even scan whole filesystems, it just checks the directories listed in Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plugins (two by default), and perhaps their child directories.

However, to answer the OPs problem, I once had an executable unexpectedly copied to one of these directories ("wget", for that matter) that Gimp would then try to run on each startup and which took time to exit, delaying the startup by that much.