Sign up now! · Forgot password?
RSS/Atom feed Twitter

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list 31 Oct 10:08
  changing or assigning colors to a tiff image Liam R E Quin 02 Nov 21:54
   changing or assigning colors to a tiff image einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list 03 Nov 13:25
    changing or assigning colors to a tiff image Liam R E Quin 03 Nov 22:40
einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list
2019-10-31 10:08:27 UTC (19 days ago)

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image

hey,

I acquiring a tiff images which are displayed in greyscale in the software. I want to restore original colors to some of the objects. can it be done?

thanks.

Liam R E Quin
2019-11-02 21:54:32 UTC (17 days ago)

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image

On Thu, 2019-10-31 at 12:08 +0200, einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list wrote:

hey,

I acquiring a tiff images which are displayed in greyscale in the software.
I want to restore original colors to some of the objects. can it be done?

Not automatically, no.

That is, neither GIMP nor any other software can know what colour socks Justin was wearing based only on grey levels.

There are some filters - e.g. "retinex" comes with GIMP, and i think the third-party g'mic plugin might have some - that try to guess.

You can also select part opf your image, feather the selection, and explore colours->colourize, to do one colour at a time; there are other methods, too, but they are somewhat more complex.

slave ankh

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list
2019-11-03 13:25:10 UTC (16 days ago)

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image

hey liam,
thanks for answering.
I of course don't look for automated solution. I basically need to restore two colors or rather change the label - grey to green and another line (small area/ object) back to yellow. thanks, einel.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Thu, 2019-10-31 at 12:08 +0200, einel chaimovich via gimp-user-list wrote:

hey,

I acquiring a tiff images which are displayed in greyscale in the software.
I want to restore original colors to some of the objects. can it be done?

Not automatically, no.

That is, neither GIMP nor any other software can know what colour socks Justin was wearing based only on grey levels.

There are some filters - e.g. "retinex" comes with GIMP, and i think the third-party g'mic plugin might have some - that try to guess.

You can also select part opf your image, feather the selection, and explore colours->colourize, to do one colour at a time; there are other methods, too, but they are somewhat more complex.

slave ankh

-- Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/ with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.

Liam R E Quin
2019-11-03 22:40:23 UTC (16 days ago)

changing or assigning colors to a tiff image

On Sun, 2019-11-03 at 15:25 +0200, einel chaimovich wrote:

I basically need to restore two colors or rather change the label - grey to
green and another line (small area/ object) back to yellow.

1. look at the title bar or the GIMP window containing the image; if it says "greyscale", use the image menu to change Mode to RGB. Now your image can contain colours.

2. select the first thing in the image that you want to colour. You might do this with the fuzzy select tool or the free select tool, for example. More experienced users often use "paths" and "layer masks" but we'll avoid that for now.

3. feather the selection (select->feather) perhaps by 5 pixels; this softens the edges.

4. use Colours->Colourize to colour it. Again there's other ways, but one way is enough for now.

5. Use Edit->Select None, and then select the next area. And so on.

If you're comfortable with layers, start out by duplicating the base layer, and after each selection copy and then paste as new layer in place, so that you can redo that colour if you make a mistake and only spot it much later.

If not, use File->Save As every now and then.

slave liam (ankh)

thanks, einel.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Thu, 2019-10-31 at 12:08 +0200, einel chaimovich via gimp-user- list
wrote:

hey,

I acquiring a tiff images which are displayed in greyscale in the software.
I want to restore original colors to some of the objects. can it be
done?

Not automatically, no.

That is, neither GIMP nor any other software can know what colour socks
Justin was wearing based only on grey levels.

There are some filters - e.g. "retinex" comes with GIMP, and i think
the third-party g'mic plugin might have some - that try to guess.

You can also select part opf your image, feather the selection, and explore colours->colourize, to do one colour at a time; there are other
methods, too, but they are somewhat more complex.

slave ankh

-- Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/ with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.