RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New image too large?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New image too large? Eoraptor 11 Jul 08:45
  New image too large? rich404 11 Jul 09:20
   New image too large? Eoraptor 11 Jul 10:40
    New image too large? rich404 11 Jul 12:12
     New image too large? rich404 11 Jul 12:39
      New image too large? Eoraptor 11 Jul 22:37
2019-07-11 08:45:51 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

New image too large?

Hello. I have only just installed Gimp and the first thing that happens is when I try to open a new image at say, 24 inches x 20 inches with a resolution of 300ppi is get a message saying ' You are trying to create an image with a size of 1.6 Gb' and goes on to tell me that this image size exceeds the maximum allowable. I can't work out how a blank image area of these dimensions amounts to anything bigger than about 123Mb., as the same space shows up as in Photoshop. Am I doing something wrong here?

rich404
2019-07-11 09:20:14 UTC (over 4 years ago)

New image too large?

Hello. I have only just installed Gimp and the first thing that happens is when I try to open a new image at say, 24 inches x 20 inches with a resolution of 300ppi is get a message saying ' You are trying to create an image with a size of 1.6 Gb' and goes on to tell me that this image size exceeds the maximum allowable. I can't work out how a blank image area of these dimensions amounts to anything bigger than about 123Mb., as the same space shows up as in Photoshop. Am I doing something wrong here?

It is because the image in Gimp memory is more than just the bare RGB (3 x 8 bit) value for the number of pixels. There is an undo stack , channels..etc even with a newly opened image. Similar sort of discussion here:

https://www.gimpusers.com/mailmsg.php?48bbb62c-f743-2281-0e7b-64fa3642c752%40ninedegreesbelow.com

The warning is just advice, you could adjust the limit in preferences (I just ignore it)

2019-07-11 10:40:40 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

New image too large?

It is because the image in Gimp memory is more than just the bare RGB (3 x 8 bit) value for the number of pixels. There is an undo stack , channels..etc even with a newly opened image. Similar sort of discussion here:

https://www.gimpusers.com/mailmsg.php?48bbb62c-f743-2281-0e7b-64fa3642c752%40ninedegreesbelow.com

The warning is just advice, you could adjust the limit in preferences (I just ignore it)

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the other thread that you pasted here, I see I'm out of my depth. I'm only a dumb artist and don't have a lot of tech savvy, usually flying by the seat of my pants. The main point that you made, if I understand it, is that Gimp makes an assumption that I'm going to use a lot more data than I necessarily intend to, what with layers, stacks, etc. and that I don't really have to take the size warning too seriously, am I right? I do notice that it still allows me to open the image space. My only worry is that if I go to save a file that it says is outside its size limitations, am I going to have a problem?

rich404
2019-07-11 12:12:14 UTC (over 4 years ago)

New image too large?

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the other thread that you pasted here, I see I'm out of my depth. I'm only a dumb artist and don't have a lot of tech savvy, usually flying by the seat of my pants. The main point that you made, if I understand it, is that Gimp makes an assumption that I'm going to use a lot more data than I necessarily intend to, what with layers, stacks, etc. and that I don't really have to take the size warning too seriously, am I right? I do notice that it still allows me to open the image space. My only worry is that if I go to save a file that it says is outside its size limitations, am I going to have a problem?

You always need to be careful with large Gimp / very-many-layers images. The usual advice for any application. Make frequent backups,. no automatic back-up in Gimp at the moment, so it is up to you to Save-As at intervals.

I have seen horror stories about work lost. Sometimes wonder though. A hurried save - close Gimp - shut down. When saving there is a progress indication bottom of the main window. Give Gimp time to Save.

rich404
2019-07-11 12:39:29 UTC (over 4 years ago)

New image too large?

I should have added

What gets saved with your .xcf file?

No undo levels. They are only there per-session. Although if you crash Gimp, there might be a recovery available.

Layers, Layer Masks, channels, selections, paths, guides, grid settings, meta data, all saved with the .xcf.

The (extra) compressed version(s) .xcfgz / .xcfbz2 / xcfxz all open straight up with Gimp just take a bit longer. to save / load.

2019-07-11 22:37:07 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

New image too large?

I should have added

What gets saved with your .xcf file?

No undo levels. They are only there per-session. Although if you crash Gimp, there might be a recovery available.

Layers, Layer Masks, channels, selections, paths, guides, grid settings, meta data, all saved with the .xcf.

The (extra) compressed version(s) .xcfgz / .xcfbz2 / xcfxz all open straight up with Gimp just take a bit longer. to save / load.

Thanks for your replies, Rich404. I haven't done any work to save yet. I've come straight in from my old Photshop 7.0, which doesn't seem to want to work properly any more and I didn't feel like subscribing or forking out $700 plus for a new one, so I thought I'd give Gimp a try and am feeling my way. I'm not used to the native format of Gimp (.xcf, etc.) and am not familiar with their properties, so I guess I'll just have to play it by ear. I increased the allowable file size limit as you suggested and that allowed me to pass without argument, so thanks for that tip. Thank you again for your help. It is much appreciated.