RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 (Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 31, Issue 22)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20050417190031.29F5C12137@l... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 (Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 31, Issue 22) Asif Lodhi 17 Apr 23:38
   Pine.GSO.4.21.0504180748040... Owen Cook 17 Apr 23:59
   Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 (Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 31, Issue 22) Steve Stavropoulos 18 Apr 04:23
Asif Lodhi
2005-04-17 23:38:11 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Thanks for the help, Owen. I did exactly as you advised and 2.2.6 is running on my system now. However, I am afraid I might get into run-time errors. If this is not the case then why are there so many precautionary dependency-related instructions in the INSTALL file that comes bundled with the tar.gz? I would like to know what trade-offs I made by not following the instructions given in the INSTALL doc and installing the gimp 2.2.6 without installing any of the latest packages (from sources) mentioned in INSTALL.

I have not yet tried the "yum update" method recommended by Steve as running configure with a different "prefix" did work. I visited Red Hat's website page listing the gimp binaries once again but there are no 2.2.6 binaries over there. May be the "yum update" method downloads the relevant sources to your machine, analyzes all the dependencies and configure/make/make_installs all the files over the Internet. Any comments?

Is it safe to carry out a "yum update" exercise from root? Or, can I also do it from a normal user account?

Thanks and best regards

Asif

On 4/18/05, gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu < gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:42:05 +1000 (EST) From: Owen Cook
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Cc: Asif Lodhi
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3

OK, go to your gimp-2.2.6 directory

type ./configure --help and have a read, even it it means little

You will see how to install in another prefix, example

./configure --prefix=/opt will configure so that it is built in /opt

............................................................................................

If it doesn't work, you wont harm anything, so you have little to lose

HTH

Owen

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 06:32:53 +0300 From: Steve Stavropoulos
To: Asif Lodhi
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3

Redhat updated gimp to 2.2 shortly after the release of fedora 3. Your best chance to get this working is to run yum update gimp* This will download and install gimp 2.2.4 and any other software needed. (I _strongly_ suggest to also do a yum update gtk2*) ------------------------------

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-04-18 04:23:46 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On 4/18/05, Asif Lodhi wrote:

Thanks for the help, Owen. I did exactly as you advised and 2.2.6 is running on my system now. However, I am afraid I might get into run-time errors.

If ./configure said it's ok, then it's ok. Don't be afraid. Enjoy your new gimp :)

I have not yet tried the "yum update" method recommended by Steve as running configure with a different "prefix" did work.

You should at least run yum update gtk2* to avoid severe speed problems when opening an image. yum will download the relevant binary rpms from redhat with all their dependencies and install them. yum update gimp-* will install the latest redhat update for gimp (2.2.4, but I guess soon there will be a 2.2.6 there...). With yum you can keep your system updated and I advise you to do so.

Is it safe to carry out a "yum update" exercise from root? Or, can I also do it from a normal user account?

yum update will install the relevant updates (issued by redhat) for your machine. It will work only if you are root.