RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't get plugins to work (n00b question)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can't get plugins to work (n00b question) davidpayneii 24 Apr 20:21
  Can't get plugins to work (n00b question) rich404 25 Apr 07:31
2019-04-24 20:21:13 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

Hi, all-

Completely new to GIMP, converting from Adobe because money. Using a Mac.

I'm trying to get a plugin (specifically the "new layer from cut/copy one) working. The readme that came with it told me to put the .py in the plug-ins folder in GIMP/2.10, but there was no plugins folder there. I created a folder called "Plug-ins" and put the .py file in there. Restarted the program (and the computer), but still didn't see the plugin.

The readme also said I might need to "install python support for GIMP" but didn't elaborate on how to do that. Anybody able to help me figure out what that means?

Thanks

David

rich404
2019-04-25 07:31:35 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

Hi, all-

Completely new to GIMP, converting from Adobe because money. Using a Mac.

I'm trying to get a plugin (specifically the "new layer from cut/copy one) working. The readme that came with it told me to put the .py in the plug-ins folder in GIMP/2.10, but there was no plugins folder there. I created a folder called "Plug-ins" and put the .py file in there. Restarted the program (and the computer), but still didn't see the plugin.

The readme also said I might need to "install python support for GIMP" but didn't elaborate on how to do that. Anybody able to help me figure out what that means?

Thanks

David

By default there is a designated folder for plugins. There is some information here for all OS's:

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/

Plugins both compiled and python have to be made executable

Being a linux user, I did wonder how difficult it was for Gimp / OSX users, so tried out in a Mac VM

A short video here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Install-scripts-and-plugins

Might help.