RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Background Removal failute

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Background Removal failute KiminWisconsin 21 Oct 17:33
  Background Removal failure KiminWisconsin 21 Oct 17:36
  Background Removal failute rich404 22 Oct 08:54
  Background Removal failute Rick Strong 05 Nov 21:07
2018-10-21 17:33:58 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background removal. Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to delete that background layer from the image so that the foreground image remained. Once I deleted the background layer I selected, the whole image showed as nothing but a transparent frame. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of what resulted. Thank you in advance. --Kim

2018-10-21 17:36:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Background Removal failure

Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background removal. Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to delete that background layer from the image so that the foreground image remained. Once I deleted the background layer I selected, the whole image showed as nothing but a transparent frame. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of what resulted. Thank you in advance. --Kim

rich404
2018-10-22 08:54:31 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Unfortunately your screenshots do not provide much in the way of information.

Make a full interface shot like the attached (Gimp 2.8) and give the version of Gimp (2.8 or 2.10 ) together with your computer operating system (Windows / linux / OSX)

The only thing you can say is your selection could be better. Apart from that, the procedure might be

1. Make sure the image has an alpha-channel (for transparency) Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel

2. Make a selection around the bit you want to keep. Various tools for this free-select / scissors / foreground select. Fuzzy/Colour select best on plain backgrounds. All depends on the image.

3. Invert the selected foreground Select -> Invert

4. Cut the selection Edit -> Cut

5. Select -> None

You do not need more than one layer, except often a light grey under shows up any edge errors. Save as a .xcf keeps layers / selections etc. Export as a png for a flattened image with transparency.

Out of interest, which video tutorial? There are other ways of extracting a foreground, the Gimp plugin g'mic has a useful filter.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Rick Strong
2018-11-05 21:07:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Kim,
After you have made your selection, try hitting "Enter" to make your selection "stick".
Then Invert the selection.
Then delete it.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: KiminWisconsin
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 1:33 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Background Removal failute

Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background removal. Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to delete that background
layer from the image so that the foreground image remained. Once I deleted the
background layer I selected, the whole image showed as nothing but a transparent
frame. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of
what resulted. Thank you in advance. --Kim

Attachments: *
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1036/original/Background_selected_for_deleting.tiff *
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1037/original/After_background_layer_deleted.tiff

KiminWisconsin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)