RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pentax Exif data stripped

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pentax Exif data stripped CeeCee 29 Aug 12:01
  Pentax Exif data stripped Owen 30 Aug 03:01
   Pentax Exif data stripped CeeCee 07 Sep 11:53
    Pentax Exif data stripped OrzBruford 24 Sep 10:15
     Pentax Exif data stripped Francois 29 Sep 14:05
      Pentax Exif data stripped OrzBruford 29 Sep 22:03
       Pentax Exif data stripped OrzBruford 29 Sep 22:13
        Pentax Exif data stripped OrzBruford 29 Sep 22:24
         Pentax Exif data stripped Francois 30 Sep 07:44
          Pentax Exif data stripped OrzBruford 30 Sep 07:58
           Pentax Exif data stripped Francois 30 Sep 08:51
            Pentax Exif data stripped CeeCee 02 Oct 10:58
2018-08-29 12:01:06 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Since installing 2.10.0 (and also 2.10.6) when I export a Pentax file (as a jpeg) the exif data is lost. Canon, Nikon & Sony files work fine. I'm using Windows 10 and I have tried this on 2 different PCs. Gimp 2.8 and previous versions had no issues with Pentax files. Has anyone come across this ?

Owen
2018-08-30 03:01:27 UTC (over 5 years ago)

In the preferences there are several tick boxes under Image import and Export.

What state are your tick box in for exif data?

Owen

Since installing 2.10.0 (and also 2.10.6) when I export a Pentax file (as a jpeg) the exif data is lost. Canon, Nikon & Sony files work fine. I'm using Windows 10 and I have tried this on 2 different PCs. Gimp 2.8 and previous versions had no issues with Pentax files. Has anyone come across this ?

-- CeeCee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

2018-09-07 11:53:38 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

In the preferences there are several tick boxes under Image import and Export.

What state are your tick box in for exif data?

Owen

The boxes are set to export exif data. The exif is exported with Sony, Canon, Nikon & Casio files, only Pentax not working from 3 different pentax cameras, K30, K20D & Optio E40.

OrzBruford
2018-09-24 10:15:32 UTC (over 5 years ago)

This is a bug in GIMP 2.10.6. Please look at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2253. For a temporary workaround, please change the item "Make" of Exif data from "PENTAX Corporation" to "Pentax Corporation". A command line tool called exiftool can be used to change Exif data. ex)
exiftool - Make = "Pentax Corporation" foo.jpg

The boxes are set to export exif data. The exif is exported with Sony, Canon, Nikon & Casio files, only Pentax not working from 3 different pentax cameras, K30, K20D & Optio E40.

2018-09-29 14:05:36 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

This is a bug in GIMP 2.10.6. Please look at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2253. For a temporary workaround, please change the item "Make" of Exif data from "PENTAX Corporation" to "Pentax Corporation". A command line tool called exiftool can be used to change Exif data. ex)
exiftool - Make = "Pentax Corporation" foo.jpg

You are right, but the command line should not include spaces before and after "make" nor before the new Make string: exiftool -make="Pentax Corporation" foo.jpg

OrzBruford
2018-09-29 22:03:15 UTC (over 5 years ago)

You are right, but the command line should not include spaces before and after "make" nor before the new Make string: exiftool -make="Pentax Corporation" foo.jpg

"Make" is not wrong.
Please check with "exiftool foo.jpg".

OrzBruford
2018-09-29 22:13:29 UTC (over 5 years ago)

"Make" is not wrong.
Please check with "exiftool foo.jpg".

If you think that I am a liar, please do the following. "exiv2 -pa -pr IMGP0002.jpg | less -X"

OrzBruford
2018-09-29 22:24:32 UTC (over 5 years ago)

If you think that I am a liar, please do the following. "exiv2 -pa -pr IMGP0002.jpg | less -X"

Then exiftool - Make = "Pentax Corporation" It seems like a bug in the Google translation system that spaces are added before and after the hyphen or equal sign of foo.jpg. Because you did not notice, please forgive me.

This is the correct command line. exiftool -Make="Pentax Corporation"

2018-09-30 07:44:08 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Then exiftool - Make = "Pentax Corporation" It seems like a bug in the Google translation system that spaces are added before and after the hyphen or equal sign of foo.jpg. Because you did not notice, please forgive me.

This is the correct command line. exiftool -Make="Pentax Corporation"

Why are you so upset by my answer? I never told, I never thought you were a liar. I only noticed that the command line would not work because of the spaces. I did not know this bug you are pointing to, but was so interested in it that I also answered you on the Flicker Gimp Users group. I only wanted to fix the command line for people who would try to copy-paste it. I don't use the Gogle translation for posting in English, but I confirm it adds spaces. As for the lowercase -make, I unconsciously typed it instead of -Make, because I never use uppercase when lowercase is working.

OrzBruford
2018-09-30 07:58:08 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Why are you so upset by my answer? I never told, I never thought you were a liar.
I only noticed that the command line would not work because of the spaces.
I did not know this bug you are pointing to, but was so interested in it that I also answered you on the Flicker Gimp Users group. I only wanted to fix the command line for people who would try to copy-paste it.
I don't use the Gogle translation for posting in English, but I confirm it adds spaces.
As for the lowercase -make, I unconsciously typed it instead of -Make, because I never use uppercase when lowercase is working.

all right. all right. You can say I'm a liar. Please do it. I will not write any information that I think would be useful already.

2018-09-30 08:51:20 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

all right. all right. You can say I'm a liar. Please do it. I will not write any information that I think would be useful already.

I suppose you are joking. Keep giving useful information! Thanks to your warning I did some further investigations which I reported on your Flickr Gimp Users thread. The bug seems to be linked with the all-capital name PENTAX, and it does not occur with other six-letter uppercase names.

2018-10-02 10:58:37 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

I suppose you are joking. Keep giving useful information! Thanks to your warning I did some further investigations which I reported on your
Flickr Gimp Users thread.
The bug seems to be linked with the all-capital name PENTAX, and it does not occur with other six-letter uppercase names.

just to clarify

Older Pentax cameras ( *istDS, K100, K10 ) Camera Make is "PENTAX Corporation" then they changed it ( K30, K50, K5) Camera Make is "PENTAX" Later Pentax Cameras ( K3, K70, K1 ) Cameras Make is "RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD"

after further testing this problem applies to "out of camera" JPGs with the word "PENTAX", that is the exif file was written by the camera. If you develop a raw file with an editor, output to JPG, load that JPG into gimp, then export from gimp the exported file has exif data. ( Still with the word "PENTAX" as the Camera Make. )