RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Quality loss when reducing the dimensions of my image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Quality loss when reducing the dimensions of my image qsdqsd 04 Jan 17:39
  Quality loss when reducing the dimensions of my image Steve Kinney 04 Jan 20:27
   Quality loss when reducing the dimensions of my image qsdqsd 08 Jan 13:41
2018-01-04 17:39:35 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if it was normal to see a loss of quality after reducing an image with Image --> scale image or with the (Shift+T) tool. I can see more blur. A less define edge.

I thought a quality loss never happened when reducing an image but when increasing it size..

Steve Kinney
2018-01-04 20:27:25 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On 01/04/2018 12:39 PM, qsdqsd wrote:

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if it was normal to see a loss of quality after reducing an image with Image --> scale image or with the (Shift+T) tool. I can see more blur. A less define edge.

I thought a quality loss never happened when reducing an image but when increasing it size..

When increasing the size of an image (in pixels), the averages adjacent pixels together as necessary to spread the same pattern across a larger number of pixels. This does produce a visible blurring effect where the original had sharp edges.

When scaling down, the pixels along high contrast edges in an image are again averaged together, but because the visible size of the affected areas is decreased the loss of resolution is not as visible. But if you "zoom in" and look at the image at the same size (in cm on screen) as it was before scaling down, the loss of resolution will be visible.

:o)

2018-01-08 13:41:19 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Thank you for such a great explanation :)