RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Lowering or redirecting Gnome logging

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Lowering or redirecting Gnome logging Christopher Howard 18 Jul 17:42
  Lowering or redirecting Gnome logging Carol Spears 18 Jul 23:21
Christopher Howard
2017-07-18 17:42:05 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi, I have a Gnome 3 desktop running on Debian Jessie. My /var/log/messages keeps blowing up to over 8 GB. When I study the log, it looks like about 95% of the messages are Gnome debugging messages. A lot of that 95% are debug messages from various apps using glib or gtk, and a lot of it is Gnome Shell warnings repeated thousands of times.

I've heard of ways to put a limit on the log size, but what I really want to do is reduce a lot of that Gnome debug "clutter" so only the smaller set of important messages are in the log. Is there some global Gnome option somewhere that reduces the logging level for all Gnome-based programs? That would be the ideal solution, I think. Alternatively, if I could figure out an easy way to redirect those Gnome messages elsewhere, that might be sufficient.

Christopher Howard
Computer Assistant
Alaska Satellite Internet
3239 La Ree Way
Fairbanks, Alaska 99709
1-888-396-5623
https://alaskasatelliteinternet.com
personal web site: https://qlfiles.net
Carol Spears
2017-07-18 23:21:57 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Christopher Howard < christopher@alaskasi.com> wrote:

Hi, I have a Gnome 3 desktop running on Debian Jessie. My /var/log/messages keeps blowing up to over 8 GB. When I study the log, it looks like about 95% of the messages are Gnome debugging messages. A lot of that 95% are debug messages from various apps using glib or gtk, and a lot of it is Gnome Shell warnings repeated thousands of times.

I've heard of ways to put a limit on the log size, but what I really want to do is reduce a lot of that Gnome debug "clutter" so only the smaller set of important messages are in the log. Is there some global Gnome option somewhere that reduces the logging level for all Gnome-based programs? That would be the ideal solution, I think. Alternatively, if I could figure out an easy way to redirect those Gnome messages elsewhere, that might be sufficient.

Are you *sure* it's gnome? Perhaps you need to reinstall but this time

not choose the software with '-dbg' in its name.

Maybe, the messages have already been redirected and the kernel is getting a lot more chatter than it needs.

Good luck with that! Opening things up in a terminal emulator might direct the messages to you to read.

Carol