RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP access on Mac

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP access on Mac poemystic 28 Feb 01:58
  GIMP access on Mac Guy Stalnaker 28 Feb 17:11
  GIMP access on Mac Ross Martinek 28 Feb 17:45
   GIMP access on Mac ugajin 28 Feb 17:57
    GIMP access on Mac Ross Martinek 28 Feb 18:07
  GIMP access on Mac TheMan456 23 Apr 08:05
   GIMP access on Mac brian43 19 Nov 15:49
    GIMP access on Mac TravisSimcox 20 Nov 03:48
    GIMP access on Mac LauraJ 03 Jan 12:36
     GIMP access on Mac shogun 05 Jan 17:05
  GIMP access on Mac sp3x 30 Dec 20:02
2017-02-28 01:58:16 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers."

Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM from www.gimp.org."

Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open, and neither is listed in my applications.

I have Mac Sierra.

Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.

Guy Stalnaker
2017-02-28 17:11:07 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP access on Mac

poemystic,

Though this document is for Mac OS X 10.8, it applies to later versions, including El Capitan (I just checked on my MacBookPro). Ignore the Symantec and follow the Preferences -> Security part.

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=25443

Regards.

On 2/27/2017 7:58 PM, poemystic wrote:

I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers."

Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM from www.gimp.org."

Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open, and neither is listed in my applications.

I have Mac Sierra.

Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end 
of human existence." ― Aristotle
Ross Martinek
2017-02-28 17:45:39 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP access on Mac

Open "System Preferences,” (Apple menu if you don’t have the icon in your dock.) click on the "Security & Privacy" icon. In the “General" pane, there should be a lock icon at the bottom. Click on that icon, type in your administrator password if requested. This will allow you to make changes in the panel. In the “Allow apps downloaded from:” section, select “Anywhere.” Close the “Preferences" panel, open GIMP. The system now knows this app is okay to open. Go back into "System Preferences," “General" panel, and change the allowed apps section back to “Mac App Store and identified developers.”

Ross

On Feb 27, 2017, at 7:58 PM, poemystic wrote:

I have Mac Sierra.

-- poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

ugajin
2017-02-28 17:57:10 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP access on Mac

A better way (if I remember correctly) is to right click on Gimp.app and select open from the context menu. You will then get a warning dialogue asking if you want to open the app (or not). Slelect Open to launch app.

---- On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:45:39 +0000 Ross Martinek <triarius12@gmail.com> wrote ----

Open "System Preferences,” (Apple menu if you don’t have the icon in your dock.) click on the "Security & Privacy" icon. In the “General" pane, there should be a lock icon at the bottom. Click on that icon, type in your administrator password if requested. This will allow you to make changes in the panel. In the “Allow apps downloaded from:” section, select “Anywhere.” Close the “Preferences" panel, open GIMP. The system now knows this app is okay to open. Go back into "System Preferences," “General" panel, and change the allowed apps section back to “Mac App Store and identified developers.”

Ross

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 7:58 PM, poemystic <forums@gimpusers.com> wrote: >
> I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple > message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified > developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App > Store and identified developers." >
> Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image > “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM > from www.gimp.org."
>
> Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open, > and neither is listed in my applications. >
> I have Mac Sierra.
>
> Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have > abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10. >
> --
> poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) > _______________________________________________ > gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org > List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list > List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Ross Martinek
2017-02-28 18:07:38 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP access on Mac

Yep, forgot about that one. ;-)

Ross

On Feb 28, 2017, at 11:57 AM, ugajin wrote:

A better way (if I remember correctly) is to right click on Gimp.app and select open from the context menu. You will then get a warning dialogue asking if you want to open the app (or not). Slelect Open to launch app.

---- On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:45:39 +0000 Ross Martinek wrote ---- Open "System Preferences,” (Apple menu if you don’t have the icon in your dock.) click on the "Security & Privacy" icon. In the “General" pane, there should be a lock icon at the bottom. Click on that icon, type in your administrator password if requested. This will allow you to make changes in the panel. In the “Allow apps downloaded from:” section, select “Anywhere.” Close the “Preferences" panel, open GIMP. The system now knows this app is okay to open. Go back into "System Preferences," “General" panel, and change the allowed apps section back to “Mac App Store and identified developers.”

Ross

On Feb 27, 2017, at 7:58 PM, poemystic > wrote:

I have Mac Sierra.

-- poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

2018-04-23 08:05:06 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

I have Mac Sierra.

Open Finder, locate the gimp dmg file, and then just hold the control key when you click on the Gimp dmg, and click open. It will then allow you to install/open gimp without disabling any security settings

2018-11-19 15:49:06 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

Open Finder, locate the gimp dmg file, and then just hold the control key when you click on the Gimp dmg, and click open. It will then allow you to install/open gimp without disabling any security settings

On the latest version 2.10.8, the directions above will in fact install the 'gimp.app but when executed still get a 'unverified sources error'.

I am using mojave and have security set to install from all sources.

The version I can install is the previous version... and it took 3 times to get that one to work.

2018-11-20 03:48:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

On the latest version 2.10.8, the directions above will in fact install the 'gimp.app but when executed still get a 'unverified sources error'.

The version I can install is the previous version... and it took 3 times to get that one to work.

Yeah, I get the 'unverified sources error' but there's a button in the dialog to proceed anyway with an administrator password. Hit that and you're good to go.

2018-12-30 20:02:58 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

I have Mac Sierra.

you need to go to security & Privacy and unlock the padlock at the bottom with your admin password then change it to App store and Identified Developers, Try installing again when it says it can't click ok then security and settings click allow, that's it

2019-01-03 12:36:26 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

How did you get security to show 'allow from all' on Mojave please?

2019-01-05 17:05:52 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

GIMP access on Mac

How did you get security to show 'allow from all' on Mojave please?

type sudo spctl --master-disable
in terminal

that will add allow apps from anywhere to appear in security prefs