RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color Separations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color Separations The Bold Look 20 Aug 18:21
  Color Separations Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Aug 19:09
The Bold Look
2004-08-20 18:21:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Separations

Hi there. I've been playing with the Gimp for the last couple of weeks and I found it an amazing tool, however when I tried to output my designs to my postscript printer I found that I can't setup screen angle for the printing, which I need for my business (screenprinting). does anyone knows how to accomplish this within the gimp?. I googled but couldn't really find anything.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-08-20 19:09:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Separations

On Friday 20 August 2004 13:21, The Bold Look wrote:

Hi there. I've been playing with the Gimp for the last couple of weeks and I found it an amazing tool, however when I tried to output my designs to my postscript printer I found that I can't setup screen angle for the printing, which I need for my business (screenprinting). does anyone knows how to accomplish this within the gimp?. I googled but couldn't really find anything.

Yes, as a matter of fact, the GIMP doesn include support for professionall printing.

I am really sorry for that. Thre is one possible work-around: the screens can be generated as a GIMP image with the filters->distorts->newsprint filter.

However that is mostly meant for special effects purposes than for actual generating of screens. You would have to: Enlarge your image so that the pixels will hold the screen dots itself on your printer (let's say 77 LPI on a 600 DPI printer -> 7.8 pixels per scrren dot ..so you have to create an image 8 times as large as one that would hold one pixel for screen dot) Make a b&W version of each channel of your image (through image->mode->decompose), followed by a invert (image->colors->invert ) on each decomposed layer. Finally filters->distorts->newsprint , cmyk, only K channel matters. cellsize, for this example, would be "8". after this one, convert to b&w, and print each layer separately.

Sounds painfullllllllllll... Maybe the newsprint plugin can be changed to have an option to do it's stuff into separate layers, and keep colors as black - that would short the work-arounding cycle a lot

I will offer yopu another option however. I intend to work on something for the postscript file saving in the GIMP (not printing). So, if you could, run through another application, print a __small__ (32 X 32 pixels would be nice) file, with your color corrections and screem parameters all turned on (be sure the picture, small as it is have all 5 of CMYK + white) colors.), and send me this gerated PS. I could be able to add the screen options to the GIMP file save as Postscript plugin (not gimp printing).

Regards,

JS ->