RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Which is the best book about Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Which is the best book about Gimp? marciomendonsa 24 Apr 18:13
  Which is the best book about Gimp? Kevin Cozens 24 Apr 19:17
  Which is the best book about Gimp? Liam R E Quin 24 Apr 19:33
   Which is the best book about Gimp? Steve Kinney 24 Apr 21:12
    Which is the best book about Gimp? marciomendonsa 25 Apr 10:52
   Which is the best book about Gimp? marciomendonsa 25 Apr 10:49
   Which is the best book about Gimp? marciomendonsa 25 Apr 10:51
2013-04-24 18:13:05 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

Hello Folks!!

I read The "Beginig Gimp - From Novice to professional" and would like to learn more about Gimp! After that, which is the best Gimp book?

Thanks

Kevin Cozens
2013-04-24 19:17:45 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On 13-04-24 02:13 PM, marciomendonsa wrote:

I read The "Beginig Gimp - From Novice to professional" and would like to learn more about Gimp! After that, which is the best Gimp book?

"Best" is one of those hard to define things. What is best for one person may not suit another. There are many books available about GIMP. It would help us help you if you would provide some information as to your interests and what types of things you plan on doing with GIMP.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Liam R E Quin
2013-04-24 19:33:11 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 20:13 +0200, marciomendonsa wrote:

Hello Folks!!

Best is to use GIMP yourself for a while, to look on the Web, at the GIMP plugin registry, at examples (e.g. deviantart.com has a lot of user-submitted work done with GIMP)...

It all depends on what you're doing.

I especially like The Artist's Guide to GIMP for a tutorial-based approach. I was recently sent a copy of "The Book of GIMP: A complete guide to nearly everything" which is much fatter and somewhat more up to date than Beginning GIMP, but it might be too close to what you already have.

There's probably also a "national bestseller" book of the movie "Pulp Fiction" which describes a different, but not unrelated, GIMP :-)

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Steve Kinney
2013-04-24 21:12:25 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On 04/24/2013 03:33 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 20:13 +0200, marciomendonsa wrote:

Hello Folks!!

Best is to use GIMP yourself for a while, to look on the Web, at the GIMP plugin registry, at examples (e.g. deviantart.com has a lot of user-submitted work done with GIMP)...

I especially like The Artist's Guide to GIMP for a tutorial-based approach. I was recently sent a copy of "The Book of GIMP: A complete guide to nearly everything" which is much fatter and somewhat more up to date than Beginning GIMP, but it might be too close to what you already have.

There's probably also a "national bestseller" book of the movie "Pulp Fiction" which describes a different, but not unrelated, GIMP :-)

Once Upon A Time the answer to that was too easy: Grokking The Gimp was "it". But now, dang it, there's too much out there to pick a "best."

A major resource to look at is GIMP Magazine. Three issues are out so far, all available for download in PDF format:

http://gimpmagazine.org/

It's kind of amazing how the community and its literature is growing!

:o)

Steve

2013-04-25 10:49:28 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

I especially like The Artist's Guide to GIMP for a tutorial-based approach. I was recently sent a copy of "The Book of GIMP: A complete guide to nearly everything" which is much fatter and somewhat more up to
date than Beginning GIMP, but it might be too close to what you already
have.

Liam

Hi Kevin!

I'm interested in photography. Everything about Gimp and photography. I know that exist the book "Gimp 2.6 for photographers", but is it the only book that cover this area?

2013-04-25 10:51:12 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

I especially like The Artist's Guide to GIMP for a tutorial-based approach. I was recently sent a copy of "The Book of GIMP: A complete guide to nearly everything" which is much fatter and somewhat more up to
date than Beginning GIMP, but it might be too close to what you already
have.

Liam

The Artist's Guide looks me very good too.

2013-04-25 10:52:10 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

Once Upon A Time the answer to that was too easy: Grokking The Gimp was "it". But now, dang it, there's too much out there to pick a "best."

A major resource to look at is GIMP Magazine. Three issues are out so far, all available for download in PDF format:

http://gimpmagazine.org/

It's kind of amazing how the community and its literature is growing!

:o)

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll download GIMP Magazine.