RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

SureThing and Memorex exPressit files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

SureThing and Memorex exPressit files Edward Wood 11 Jan 12:18
  SureThing and Memorex exPressit files Alexandre Prokoudine 11 Jan 12:34
   SureThing and Memorex exPressit files Michael Schumacher 11 Jan 16:06
    SureThing and Memorex exPressit files Alexandre Prokoudine 11 Jan 17:54
Edward Wood
2013-01-11 12:18:00 UTC (over 11 years ago)

I would like to see a plug-in that will allow Gimp to read SureThing CD Creator and/or Memorex exPressit Label Design Studio files into Gimp so that they could be saved as standard jpeg files.

The file extension for both SureThing and exPressit is .std or .stt. While they will import jpeg files, you do not have the option to save the files as .jpg files. If I have created a file in either SureThing or exPressit, and want to import that file into another CD Creation, or share that file with someone else, they are out of luck, since only SureThing or exPressit can read the proprietary .std or .stt files.

Thanks for your help.

Have a great weekend!

Ed Wood

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-01-11 12:34:21 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Edward Wood wrote:

I would like to see a plug-in that will allow Gimp to read SureThing CD Creator and/or Memorex exPressit Label Design Studio files into Gimp so that they could be saved as standard jpeg files.

The file extension for both SureThing and exPressit is .std or .stt. While they will import jpeg files, you do not have the option to save the files as .jpg files. If I have created a file in either SureThing or exPressit, and want to import that file into another CD Creation, or share that file with someone else, they are out of luck, since only SureThing or exPressit can read the proprietary .std or .stt files.

Edward,

I'm curious: why do you think that GIMP is the right tool for that? As soon as you rasterize data, you lose the ability to edit e.g. text labels. Glabels sounds like a much better candidate for what you are trying to achieve.

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

Michael Schumacher
2013-01-11 16:06:50 UTC (over 11 years ago)

Von: Alexandre Prokoudine

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Edward Wood wrote:

The file extension for both SureThing and exPressit is .std or .stt.

I'm curious: why do you think that GIMP is the right tool for that? As soon as you rasterize data, you lose the ability to edit e.g. text labels. Glabels sounds like a much better candidate for what you are trying to achieve.

... and the contributors to either app would need a legally obtainable and usable specification of the file formats.

Regards, Michael

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-01-11 17:54:44 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

... and the contributors to either app would need a legally obtainable and usable specification of the file formats.

Reverse-engineering can be done as long as there are:

1) a strong demand for the feature; 2) a developer willing to write actual importing/exporting code for the end-user app;
3) a user who will interact with the reverse-engineering team.

Personally, I don't expect the core GIMP team to spend their time on an, IMHO, irrelevant feature when existing importers could do with a bit of help, not mentioning missing relevant importers.

However, Edward, if you can get Glabels' developer to fit the 2) requirement, let me know (not that Glabels had a Windows port, mind you).

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org