RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Graphic Tablets

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Graphic Tablets MM 16 Nov 18:26
  Graphic Tablets Vincent Ardern 16 Nov 21:26
   Graphic Tablets Maarten De Munck 17 Nov 19:35
  Graphic Tablets Mike Williams 16 Nov 21:39
   Graphic Tablets Dominik Tabisz 17 Nov 17:39
    Graphic Tablets Mikael Ståldal 17 Nov 19:41
     Graphic Tablets Dominik Tabisz 17 Nov 21:05
MM
2011-11-16 18:26:45 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

I am not sure if my first request went in, Anyway I am interested in buying a Graphic Tablet to be used primarily with GIMP. Any suggestion on the brand to be chosen? As I am not sure if there will be any problem of compatibility than, to use it. Thanks 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________ Confidentiality Note:
The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain protected and privileged highly confidential material, medical and/or legal information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

Vincent Ardern
2011-11-16 21:26:31 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

Wacom graphics tablets are considered exceptional for a reason. They are well worth their price and I have had no problem using them in Windows. The pressure sensitivity on the pen models is very good imho.

As far as I can gather, the new models work with Linux without customisation.

I doubt there will be any problems with using them in OS X. --
Kind Regards,
Vincent Ardern

-----Original Message----- From: MM
Sender: gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.orgDate: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:26:45 To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Reply-To: MM
Subject: [Gimp-user] Graphic Tablets

Mike Williams
2011-11-16 21:39:54 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM, MM wrote:

I am not sure if my first request went in,

Yes they both appeared. There is often a lag...

Anyway I am interested in buying a Graphic Tablet to be used primarily with GIMP.
Any suggestion on the brand to be chosen? As I am not sure if there will be any problem of compatibility than, to use it.
Thanks

Look into wacom. I have a friend who is an artist who uses gimp extensively and he has been very happy with his wacom tablet. His tablet is several years old, so I don't know much about their newer models, but other folks have had positive things to say about wacom on this and other lists.

Mike

Dominik Tabisz
2011-11-17 17:39:21 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

Wacom is a good choice but maybe more important is to find good model for Your needs.
Think about few things:
1) What are You going to draw - it determines the size 2) Where are You going to use it - size again 3) What operating system do You use -determines particular model

answers for 1 and 2 determines the size. If You are going just to draw small sketches, some comic etc. small size tablet might be good. When You are going to use it while editing bigger images things become really difficult. Tablet becomes "too shaky". While editing bigger images better use bigger size up to 30 cm wide. It is essential especially while speed painting or similiar tasks with big resolution. I use small Bamboo One (Wacom) because of its prize and portability. Small tablet can easily fit into laptop case with my computer.

3) While using M$ Windows it's no big deal - most tablets are supplied with drivers that work under XP or Vista. Newer should have drivers for newer Windows too.
While using GNU/Linux one should check whether this particular model will work with this particular distribution of GNU. For example my Bambo One CTF-430 is recognized by Debian Lenny, Debian Squeeze, but i can't use pressure.
Any attempts to make it work under Fedora failed, same situation with FreeBSD.

Before You buy any device it's good practice to check exactly that model, You are going to buy. Usually models older then one Year are better - it's easier to google if they work or don't work with GNU/Linux

Maarten De Munck
2011-11-17 19:35:53 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

Vincent Ardern schreef op wo 16-11-2011 om 21:26 [+0000]:

Wacom graphics tablets are considered exceptional for a reason. They are well worth their price and I have had no problem using them in Windows. The pressure sensitivity on the pen models is very good imho.

As far as I can gather, the new models work with Linux without customisation.

I doubt there will be any problems with using them in OS X.

I have a Wacom Volito (FT-0405-U) which works out-of-the-box on Linux (just plugged it in my Debian box and it just works). I suppose it works on Windows since it was designed for Windows (but I never tested it), but it doesn't work at all on OSX. Apparently, some cheaper models are explicitly excluded in Wacom's OSX driver (I'm quite sure it is done deliberately because in one 'buggy' version it does work), probably because OSX users should spend more money for one of the more expensive versions.

It is the most basic Wacom tablet, but it works perfectly for me. I use it to remove dust spots and scratches on scans of black-and-white negatives (for which ICE doesn't work) in Gimp and CinePaint (if I need 16 bit grayscale). For other tasks, a larger version or more features can be better of course.

Mikael Ståldal
2011-11-17 19:41:08 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

On 2011-11-17 18:39, Dominik Tabisz wrote:

For example myBambo One CTF-430 is recognized by Debian Lenny, Debian Squeeze,

> but i can't use pressure.

I also have a Bamboo One CTF-430, it works with pressure in Ubuntu, with GIMP and Inkscape.

Dominik Tabisz
2011-11-17 21:05:05 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Graphic Tablets

I also have a Bamboo One CTF-430, it works with pressure in Ubuntu, with GIMP and Inkscape.

I've checked it again.
It was problem related to configuration of GIMP and INKSCAPE and i was trying to solve this at level of driver or Xserver.

In order to make pressure work switch *exact device* from "disabled" to "screen" (edition>preferences>input devices).

Thanks for correcting my mistake

2011/11/17, Mikael Ståldal :

On 2011-11-17 18:39, Dominik Tabisz wrote:

For example myBambo One CTF-430 is recognized by Debian Lenny, Debian Squeeze,

> but i can't use pressure.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list