RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

curving text (text to path?)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

curving text (text to path?) AutoGear 10 Sep 17:30
  curving text (text to path?) Rob Antonishen 10 Sep 18:54
  curving text (text to path?) saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 10 Sep 18:55
  curving text (text to path?) gerard82 12 Sep 14:36
  curving text (text to path?) Akkana Peck 12 Sep 20:37
  curving text (text to path?) rich 16 Sep 15:57
2010-09-10 17:30:24 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

Hi folks;

Im a new user here so be gentle. A little background: I work for a small engineering firm that designs racing transmission parts. Im comfortable using CAD and other engineering software, but this 20min project has taken up half my day.

I need to create a logo, using our existing one. All I wanted to do was add a curved text portion above and below our original logo.

It needs to have the same curve top and bottom.

Ive played with the text-to-path and I cant get a good looking linear curve over the top of our logo. And, even if I did; I dont know how to match that curve on the bottom "rocker" so they look similar.

I tried the circular text logo template, but I need the text to read RTL on the top curve and the bottom.

Someone told me there was an ARC plug-in for CD labels, can I use this on my windows based version of GIMP2?

Thanks for your time;

Nate

Rob Antonishen
2010-09-10 18:54:40 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Hi folks;

Im a new user here so be gentle.  A little background: I work for a small engineering firm that designs racing transmission parts. Im comfortable using CAD and other engineering software, but this 20min project has taken up half my day.

Not to chase away a gimp user, but with your cad background (and for logo work in general) you may be better off using a vector based application like Inkscape.

-Rob A>

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2010-09-10 18:55:35 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Quoting "Nathan H." :

I work for a small engineering firm that designs racing transmission parts. Im comfortable using CAD and other engineering software, but this 20min project has taken up half my day.

I need to create a logo, using our existing one. All I wanted to do was add a
curved text portion above and below our original logo.

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/repository/script-fu/wiki?name=sg-warp-text

2010-09-12 14:36:24 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

Hi folks;

Im a new user here so be gentle. A little background: I work for a small engineering firm that designs racing transmission parts. Im comfortable using CAD and other engineering software, but this 20min project has taken up half my day.

I need to create a logo, using our existing one. All I wanted to do was add

a

Ive played with the text-to-path and I cant get a good looking linear curve over the top of our logo. And, even if I did; I dont know how to match that curve on the bottom "rocker" so they look similar.

I tried the circular text logo template, but I need the text to read RTL on the top curve and the bottom.

Someone told me there was an ARC plug-in for CD labels, can I use this on my windows based version of GIMP2?

Thanks for your time;

Nate

Hi Nate,
I have used this plug-in to achieve curved text. Make your text in a new file and save it the open filters and click theirl>Pan to Bow.
It will take some trial and error.
Save the curved text and when you have opened the other part open it as layer.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/20869
Good Luck,
Gerard.

Akkana Peck
2010-09-12 20:37:01 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Nathan H. writes:

Probably arclayer: http://shallowsky.com/software/arclayer/

It's in Python, so it should work on Windows as long as you have gimp-python enabled.

That script Saul pointed to looks a lot more flexible, though, especially if you really want the same curve (not concentric curves) on the top and bottom.

...Akkana

rich
2010-09-16 15:57:32 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Hi folks;

I need to create a logo, using our existing one. All I wanted to do was add

a

Thanks for your time;

Nate

I'm with the inkscape suggestion.

There is an oldish video tutorial on the subject

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/page/10/

Episode 014 - Place Text Around a Circle

might be useful