RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

EXIF Data from RAW files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

EXIF Data from RAW files Frank Gore 26 Jan 06:35
  EXIF Data from RAW files Patrick Shanahan 26 Jan 14:33
   EXIF Data from RAW files Frank Gore 26 Jan 19:45
    EXIF Data from RAW files Marshalleq 08 May 07:37
     EXIF Data from RAW files Branko Vukelic 08 May 11:11
Frank Gore
2010-01-26 06:35:41 UTC (over 14 years ago)

EXIF Data from RAW files

All that awesome EXIF info in my RAW pictures that I'd like to keep. Does UFraw not pass it along, or does Gimp not collect it? It's REALLY ANNOYING!!!

How do others deal with this? I'd love to hear solutions!

Patrick Shanahan
2010-01-26 14:33:24 UTC (over 14 years ago)

EXIF Data from RAW files

* Frank Gore [01-26-10 00:38]:

All that awesome EXIF info in my RAW pictures that I'd like to keep. Does UFraw not pass it along, or does Gimp not collect it? It's REALLY ANNOYING!!!

How do others deal with this? I'd love to hear solutions!

Then you will be very unhappy to hear that I need no solution as I see virtually all of the exif information in jpegs generated by ufraw/gimp from nef raw files produced by my Nikon D3. The only differencies I notice relate to data specific to the file format and/or location such as different size, embedded jpg, etc.

Comparisons made on data extracted with exiftool,

exiftool-7.82-2.2 ufraw-0.15-7.1
gimp-2.6.7-4.4

You fail to mention the versions of the binaries you are using to make your statement or who generated those binaries and whether the exif data function was even compiled into your binaries.

I went so far as to compare another jpg generated from the same raw file by bibble5pro and it is ~1800 bites smaller than the one from the gimp generated jpg.

Frank Gore
2010-01-26 19:45:40 UTC (over 14 years ago)

EXIF Data from RAW files

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

You fail to mention the versions of the binaries you are using to make your statement or who generated those binaries and whether the exif data function was even compiled into your binaries.

I currently have Gimp 2.6.8. I've had the same issue with UFraw 0.15 and 0.16. I have exiftool 7.82-2.2. All of these binaries are from openSUSE 11.2. All EXIF data just vanishes when I open a RAW file from my Pentax K-7.

But apparently it's not just UFraw/Gimp. Digikam does the same thing on my system, and it uses libraw 0.7.2 for its RAW conversion. I can see all the existing EXIF data in the RAW file by using exiv2, but it just doesn't get carried over when I process the RAW file. If I dump all EXIF, IPTC and XMP data to a text file, it becomes a 315 KB file. This is beyond aggravating. I'm not even sure where to start looking for the problem.

2010-05-08 07:37:46 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

EXIF Data from RAW files

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Patrick Shanahan

wrote:

I currently have Gimp 2.6.8. I've had the same issue with UFraw 0.15 and 0.16. I have exiftool 7.82-2.2. All of these binaries are from openSUSE 11.2. All EXIF data just vanishes when I open a RAW file from my Pentax K-7.

But apparently it's not just UFraw/Gimp. Digikam does the same thing on my system, and it uses libraw 0.7.2 for its RAW conversion. I can see all the existing EXIF data in the RAW file by using exiv2, but it just doesn't get carried over when I process the RAW file. If I dump all EXIF, IPTC and XMP data to a text file, it becomes a 315 KB file. This is beyond aggravating. I'm not even sure where to start looking for the problem.

In my case at least the EXIF info IS read in Digikam and UFRAW, however it won't export the EXIF information from ufraw unless you go straight to jpeg. I see no point in exporting to a lossy format only to edit it again so I always export to ppm. If anyone knows how to get around that problem I'd love to know!

Branko Vukelic
2010-05-08 11:11:56 UTC (about 14 years ago)

EXIF Data from RAW files

AFAIK, EXIF is only supported by Jpeg, TIFF and some raw camera files. Other image formats may have some form of metadata, I think you can only use EXIF in the mentioned formats.

Try saving the image as TIFF from your software, see if that works.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Marshalleq wrote:

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Patrick Shanahan

wrote:

In my case at least the EXIF info IS read in Digikam and UFRAW, however it won't export the EXIF information from ufraw unless you go straight to jpeg. I see no point in exporting to a lossy format only to edit it again so I always export to ppm.  If anyone knows how to get around that problem I'd love to know!

--
Marshalleq (via www.gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user