RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.2.17 Crash During File/Open.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.2.17 Crash During File/Open. Steven M. Dodier 03 Aug 15:32
  Gimp 2.2.17 Crash During File/Open. John Culleton 03 Aug 16:05
   4A76F7C7.5030809@lanl.gov Steven M. Dodier 03 Aug 16:44
   Gimp 2.2.17 Crash During File/Open. jolie 04 Aug 10:39
  Gimp 2.2.17 Crash During File/Open. Martin Cracauer 03 Aug 21:52
   4A7768B4.6080404@lanl.gov Steven M. Dodier 04 Aug 00:46
   4A89D95A.3090003@lanl.gov Steven M. Dodier 18 Aug 00:27
Steven M. Dodier
2009-08-03 15:32:21 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hello,

Hoping someone can help resolve this problem. I have done searches of archives and web sites without much luck. I know this version is a little old, but I don't have any control over updating the installation. My problem is related to gimp (2.2.17). I can start gimp from an nfs export with no problems. I get the GUI, but when I select file/open, the application crashes with the following error: ++++++++++++++++++++
> //gimp
process 8788: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open
"/packages/dbus10/var/lib/machine-id": No such file or directory See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue. D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace //bin/gimp: terminated: Aborted

(script-fu:8966): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error +++++++++++++++++++

I can use the same nfs export from a different system and use gimp just fine without any errors or crashing. This is the same OS, same export, same user account. The conf files in /etc/dbus-1/ appear to be identical between these two systems. The only differences that I can find between the system gimp works on and the system gimp does not work on are the patch levels. They are both RHEL 4 EL x86_64 servers. The one that works is at 2.6.9-67.ELsmp, the one that fails is at 2.6.9-34.ELsmp. Due to software support issues, I cannot simply update the system that is not working. I did update the dbus rpm and rebooted, so that it matched the good system, but that did not fix the problem. Another strange clue is that I can start the application when appending the data file, get directly to the data file without crashing gimp. For instance, I can run "//gimp file1.tif", without any errors. As soon as I need to do a file/open, the application and data file close. I am using the "//gimp file1.tif" for a work-around at the moment. Could anyone help shed some light on this issue of why Gimp crashes as soon as I select file/open? What is it that gimp needs that is causing the crash?

Thanks in advance, Steve D.

John Culleton
2009-08-03 16:05:45 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Monday 03 August 2009 09:32:21 am Steven M. Dodier wrote:

Hello,

Hoping someone can help resolve this problem. I have done searches of archives and web sites without much luck. I know this version is a little old, but I don't have any control over updating the installation. My problem is related to gimp (2.2.17). I can start gimp from an nfs export with no problems. I get the GUI, but when I select file/open, the application crashes with the following error: ++++++++++++++++++++

> //gimp

process 8788: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/packages/dbus10/var/lib/machine-id": No such file or directory See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue. D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace //bin/gimp: terminated: Aborted

(script-fu:8966): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error +++++++++++++++++++

I can use the same nfs export from a different system and use gimp just fine without any errors or crashing. This is the same OS, same export, same user account. The conf files in /etc/dbus-1/ appear to be identical between these two systems. The only differences that I can find between the system gimp works on and the system gimp does not work on are the patch levels. They are both RHEL 4 EL x86_64 servers. The one that works is at 2.6.9-67.ELsmp, the one that fails is at 2.6.9-34.ELsmp. Due to software support issues, I cannot simply update the system that is not working. I did update the dbus rpm and rebooted, so that it matched the good system, but that did not fix the problem. Another strange clue is that I can start the application when appending the data file, get directly to the data file without crashing gimp. For instance, I can run "//gimp file1.tif", without any errors. As soon as I need to do a file/open, the application and data file close. I am using the "//gimp file1.tif" for a work-around at the moment. Could anyone help shed some light on this issue of why Gimp crashes as soon as I select file/open? What is it that gimp needs that is causing the crash?

Thanks in advance, Steve D.
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Since you do not have control over your networked copy of Gimp I suggest another route. As I recall the self loading Debian system called Knoppix contains a fairly recent copy of Gimp. You download the cdr image, burn it on a disk and then whenever you need to use Gimp just pop in the disk and wait for it to load. You can still access and save files on your hard disk. This bypasses the NFS facility entirely and gives you a more up to date copy of Gimp.

If you can't burn an iso image on your system then you can buy a Knoppix disk mail order for about $10.

Martin Cracauer
2009-08-03 21:52:58 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Steven M. Dodier wrote on Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 07:32:21AM -0600:

Hello,

Hoping someone can help resolve this problem. I have done searches of archives and web sites without much luck. I know this version is a little old, but I don't have any control over updating the installation. My problem is related to gimp (2.2.17). I can start gimp from an nfs export with no problems. I get the GUI, but when I select file/open, the application crashes with the following error:

I had the same problem, some GIMP versions (but not others) would crash when using the File open menu.

I solved it by deleting the appropriate *.so in that GNOME dir. In fact I had two similar segfault crashes and moved two *.so.

Here's what got moved: /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10-inactive:
libgstvideomixer.so

/usr/lib/inactive: libtrackerclient.so.0@ libtrackerclient.so.0.0.0

Note that the gstream and other dirs are searched recursively, you need to move things outside, it is not sufficient to just mkdir inactive && mv offender.so inactive/. in that dir.

Martin

2009-08-04 10:39:19 UTC (almost 15 years ago)
postings

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Since you do not have control over your networked copy of Gimp I suggest another route. As I recall the self loading Debian system called Knoppix contains a fairly recent copy of Gimp. You download the cdr image, burn it on a disk and then whenever you need to use Gimp just pop in the disk and wait for it to load. You can still access and save files on your hard disk. This bypasses the NFS facility entirely and gives you a more up to date copy of Gimp.

If you can't burn an iso image on your system then you can buy a Knoppix disk mail order for about $10.

If you're on Windows you could also download and install gimp portable on an USB flash drive. Maybe not possible to install it when using your computer but you could do it using a friends computer. As long as GIMP portable ends up on that USB stick. It's easier to just plug in a USB stick then having to reboot with a Linux LiveCD and on a USB stick you can save your settings and store brushes, scripts etc.