RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-remote -n not starting new instance

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Burmeister 11 Jan 22:48
  gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Neumann 12 Jan 00:54
   gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Burmeister 12 Jan 01:55
    gimp-remote -n not starting new instance misfit-x 12 Jan 02:03
    gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Manish Singh 12 Jan 02:24
  gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Carol Spears 12 Jan 07:58
   gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Neumann 12 Jan 08:15
   gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Burmeister 12 Jan 09:22
    gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Neumann 12 Jan 10:26
     gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Burmeister 12 Jan 15:41
      gimp-remote -n not starting new instance Sven Neumann 12 Jan 16:27
Sven Burmeister
2004-01-11 22:48:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hello everybody,

the one thing about gimp that always annoyed me was that/is that when selecting multiple files in Konqueror and opening them with gimp as many instances as files selected. Now I got to know that for this one should use gimp-remote (you should add that to your FAQ!). It all works well, if I open gimp with gimp and then add new images to the instance bei associating e.g. *.jpg with gimp-remote-1.3 -n. However if I do not open gimp first and just try to open the multiple files from Konqueror nothing happens at all, as if the -n for new instance if there is none was ignored.

I am using Suse 9.0 and KDE 3.1.4 with gimp 1.3.2 and would appreciate if you could help me out, as this is the last thing I find really annoying about gimp and let's me miss my PSP back in the Win-times.

Well actually there are some more small things and suggestions, such as that I cannot close/accept the resize dialogue by simply pressing RETURN and having to do some finger-acrobatics for ALT+O or something like that. Further gimp does not remember the compression-settings for saving a jpg. Finally I would like to have the possibility to be able to sort files in the open/save dialogue by date. I am looking forward to gimp2, maybe that one solves some of my points and maybe even includes the possibility that one can set a preference for gimp opening only once and adding every image opened to a single instance.

Thanks,

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 00:54:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Burmeister writes:

I am using Suse 9.0 and KDE 3.1.4 with gimp 1.3.2

If that's really version 1.3.2 you are using then an update would long be overdue.

Sven

Sven Burmeister
2004-01-12 01:55:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann schrieb:

Hi,

Sven Burmeister writes:

If that's really version 1.3.2 you are using then an update would long be overdue.

Hi,

thanks for the quick hint.

In fact un update was overdue as it seems, do not know why Suse still supplies that old version.
Anyway, using the 2.0pre I still have the problem that when I select two files in Konqueror and open them with gimp-remote -n I get one gimp instance and only one picture. If I select more than two e.g. 4 and open them I get gimp, gimp,, and only three images opened.

And still there is no option in the preferences to never open more than one instance.

Sven

misfit-x
2004-01-12 02:03:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:55, Sven Burmeister wrote:

In fact un update was overdue as it seems, do not know why Suse still supplies that old version.

That's nothing... My RH9 distro came with gimp-1.2x! Of course I updated like very fast. :)

.:: misfit-x ::.

Manish Singh
2004-01-12 02:24:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:55:11AM +0100, Sven Burmeister wrote:

Sven Neumann schrieb:

Hi,

Sven Burmeister writes:

Hi,

thanks for the quick hint.

Anyway, using the 2.0pre I still have the problem that when I select two files in Konqueror and open them with gimp-remote -n I get one gimp instance and only one picture. If I select more than two e.g. 4 and open them I get gimp, gimp,, and only three images opened.

And still there is no option in the preferences to never open more than one instance.

What's happening is that Konqueror is calling gimp-remote -n once for each file, instead of listing all the files on a single invocation of gimp-remote. Since gimp takes a while to start up, gimp-remote thinks there isn't one there, so it starts new instances of the app.

Konqueror should be fixed to do the right thing, instead of doing contortions in gimp-remote to fix this.

-Yosh

Carol Spears
2004-01-12 07:58:47 UTC (over 20 years ago)

hi,
On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:48:15PM +0100, Sven Burmeister wrote:

Hello everybody,

the one thing about gimp that always annoyed me was that/is that when selecting multiple files in Konqueror and opening them with gimp as many instances as files selected. Now I got to know that for this one should use gimp-remote (you should add that to your FAQ!).

one thing about kde that always annoys me is that no one working on gimp uses kde or cares to. another thing about kde that annoys me is that no one from kde comes to help, they only come to rewrite it.

perhaps konqueor issues should be handled by the Konqueor. history is written by the winners afterall, so any application naming themselves something as silly as Konqueror had better maintain their own FAQ! and history and such. i have a feeling that the gimp-developers would not be able to write a favorable FAQ! about kde issues without lying.

you might help the Konquerorers by pointing them at the gimp-remote manpages. does kde have those?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 08:15:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

GIMP-1.3/2.0 is shipping desktop files that adhere to the Free Desktop standards. These files describe what file types The GIMP can handle, where it would like to live in the desktop menus and how it wants to be used from a file manager. As far as I know recent versions of KDE are using these files so these Konqueror issues should be solved by using a recent version.

If anyone is interested, here are links to the relevant documents:

http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html

http://freedesktop.org/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-0.12.html

If someone wants to take the time to verify that the files we ship are still in full compliance with these specs, I'd appreciate that.

Sven

Sven Burmeister
2004-01-12 09:22:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Carol Spears schrieb:

hi,
On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:48:15PM +0100, Sven Burmeister wrote:

one thing about kde that always annoys me is that no one working on gimp uses kde or cares to. another thing about kde that annoys me is that no one from kde comes to help, they only come to rewrite it.

perhaps konqueor issues should be handled by the Konqueor. history is written by the winners afterall, so any application naming themselves something as silly as Konqueror had better maintain their own FAQ! and history and such. i have a feeling that the gimp-developers would not be able to write a favorable FAQ! about kde issues without lying.

Hello!

So gnome and others handle this the right way? If this is so I would file a bug for kde, otherwise it does not seem to be a kde-only problem.

Why would it be so wrong to add one tiny little checkbox to the preferences to just allow one instance which would help all people that come from windows and in this case also use kde? I mean other programs do handle this well, such as opera and only open once no matter how fast you try to open them multiple times.

you might help the Konquerorers by pointing them at the gimp-remote manpages. does kde have those?

So I cannot configure my kde the way to handle this?

Cheers,

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 10:26:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Burmeister writes:

Why would it be so wrong to add one tiny little checkbox to the preferences to just allow one instance which would help all people that come from windows and in this case also use kde?

There's nothing wrong with that expect that a tiny little checkbox is not sufficient. This will require major changes and it is not trivial to implement in a portable fashion. There seems to be consensus among the GIMP developers that the gimp-remote functionality should be integrated into the main executable but no decision was made on how this should be implemented. Perhaps we can do this change for GIMP-2.2.

Sven

Sven Burmeister
2004-01-12 15:41:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann schrieb:

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with that expect that a tiny little checkbox is not sufficient. This will require major changes and it is not trivial to implement in a portable fashion. There seems to be consensus among the GIMP developers that the gimp-remote functionality should be integrated into the main executable but no decision was made on how this should be implemented. Perhaps we can do this change for GIMP-2.2.

Hi!

Glad to hear that, even if that means that since nobody could tell me how to workaround this issue, it will persist for me till 2.2 so probably for a year till 2.2 is out.

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 16:27:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Burmeister writes:

Glad to hear that, even if that means that since nobody could tell me how to workaround this issue, it will persist for me till 2.2 so probably for a year till 2.2 is out.

Even if the functionality was built into the gimp executable, there would still be a race condition if Konqueror continues to behave this way. So if our guess is correct and Konqueror really calls gimp for each of a group of selected images instead of doing a single call with a list of images, then this will have to be fixed in Konqueror. Any attempt to fix this in another application cannot possibly work reliably. Let alone the fact that it would be horribly inefficient. Actually I cannot believe that this is the case. Given the time it takes to startup a C++ application (and almost all KDE apps are such), it would be insane to do it this way.

Sven